OT; Is it taxed?

I know it used to be 'restricted' - but there are no dire warnings at all on that page now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And the only information that is given *in excess* of what you used to be able to see without own eyes, or look up in the manufacturer's data sheets is the date of the MOT. No registered keep addresses or name.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interestingly, that site seems intended to encourage the public to discover and report untaxed vehicles, whereas askMID warns that you may be in breach of the DPA if you ask for the tax status of a vehicle you don't own or drive.

Why the discrepancy?

Reply to
Graham.

They may be in breach of the DPA, but if you know something and don't disclose it then you can't be in breach of the DPA. Clear the browser cache and even if you are hacked you can't disclose anything.

Someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Reply to
dennis

Not true. It is a s.55 offence to *obtain* personal data without a lawful reason, not just to disclose it.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

And what sort of net-curtain-twitcher would have walked past parked cars peering making mental notes of number plates anyway?

Reply to
Richard

Quite.

Reply to
Adrian

The Medway Handyman

There isn't

is open to all AFAIK

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't need 3 times the information. I just want to know if it is taxed or not and I don't want to be arsed with mental notes of plates unless I want to take further action which I wouldn't if it was taxed.

Reply to
hugh

In article , Chris French writes

But they only find them if they move.

Reply to
hugh

Usual public sector sh** about DPA.

Reply to
hugh

It is true. How do you know the data was obtained unlawfully?

It is a s.55 offence to *obtain* personal data without a

So what personal data is being obtained?

Reply to
dennis

Usual bureaucratic stupidity.

Reply to
john james

Plenty of 'warnings' on the askmid 'own vehicle' page, which I presume everyone uses regardless to avoid the stupid fees. Four quid for a single vehicle database search? What a bunch of money grabbing knuts.

The Other Mike

That doesn't show that there is any insurance cover, just road tax and MOT.

Askmid shows just the insurance status.

Reply to
The Other Mike

If I've got a cob on because something's parked where it really shouldn't be, I'd rather know if the MOT had run out or failed last week, or it was uninsured, than whether it had MOT and insurance nine months ago when the tax was bought.

Which one(s) of those three is/are the surest sign of "dumped"?

Reply to
Adrian

Except MID is private sector.

Reply to
Adrian

Not sure, but if no RT & MOT, would insurance be valid?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In most cases yes, the usual stipulation is that the vehicle must be in roadworthy condition rather than having an MOT (which is not a guarantee of roadworthy condition). Any voiding of insurance by a provider for merely having an expired MOT on an otherwise roadworthy vehicle should result in an over-ruling by the appropriate ombudsman (the FCA).

Similarly, absence of road tax would no more void your car insurance than being behind on your council tax would void your home insurance.

Reply to
fred