OT-Having a package shipped from US-UK

Approximately how much would it cost to ship a low value package from US to UK? It would be about the same size as a ream of paper, but 1/3rd the weight, certainly under two kilos.

Don't want the priority service that I imagine costs around £50 upwards and takes a few days, the slow service that takes upwards of a couple of weeks and goes by normal post (not UPS or Fedex) would be fine.

Reply to
Jake

If a seller, it depends on what they are willing to charge.

However if you want the USPS surface & airmail etc rates go to:

and follow the pricing system for your size/weight.

The old days when customs turned a blind eye half the time to imported frei= ght are long gone, pretty much. The result is you have to factor in a delay= where Royal Mail send you a letter/card requesting payment of customs etc = & handling fee. This is not true for very low value items, below a certain = threshold. The handling fee can dwarf the charge, take note.

Reply to
js.b1

Your cheapest option is USPS 1st Class International - up to a couple of kilos (might be 3, actually) and can often catch the fast plane, depending on how full it is; but at this time of year, probably not.

Next step up is USPS International Priority Signed-for, iirc. Twice the price, or more.

Unfortunately, USPS stopped the slowboat service; that was really cheap for large items, but took up to three months.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Gosh, surface is gone... bit bizarre when most of the output of Asia comes in via surface shipping and Warren Buffet is buying railroads, union pacific & so on re bulk carrier freight economics. The shipping index can even be a leading economic indicator.

USPS following Royal Mail, expensive, 100$+ oil of course does not help much.

Reply to
js.b1

imported freight are long gone, pretty much. The result is you have to factor in a delay where Royal Mail send you a letter/card requesting payment of customs etc & handling fee. This is not true for very low value items, below a certain threshold. The handling fee can dwarf the

Last time I looked, Customs had lowered the threshold from £18 to £15 before they start charging. If the item is chargeable then our Post Office would charge a flat £8 fee for customs clearance etc plus duty (if applicable) + VAT (if applicable)

As an illustration, I need to order a one-off guitar part for a customer this weekend. The price is USD18 plus USD7 for postage. I can't remember if the value for customs is goods + carriage or goods only so the item is going to cost me either

USD15 + USD7 = about £15.75, free of tax duty and customs charge

or roughly

£15.75 + 63p + 3.27 + 8.00 = 27.65 for the lot

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It should only be the goods - you aren't importing the postage charge.

Reply to
charles

But you can get caught if the sender declares a different value - e.g.if sender says it is worth £20 but they are giving you discount on the order as a first time customer of £5. Or whatever. You get stung for £20 value not the £15 charged.

Reply to
polygonum

Any tax or duty is payable on the landed cost inclusive of carriage by whatever method is used.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It is interesting that your local Post Office will still give you Air Mail stickers for your envelope, when there is no alternative.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

I've just looked it up here:

looks like duty is payable on the goods + shipping but the threshold is on the price of the goods alone. So in my example, I should get the item without extra charges. Goodee!!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

for the link Nick. It will be invaluable.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

___Original Message_________________________________________ From: Nick Odell Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 Time: 21:40:01

Not quite. Add another 20% VAT on the whole of that lot This takes you to £33.18 all up. Is it worth it?

Reply to
Ian Wade G3NRW

The 3.27 was the VAT on the goods + carriage + duty.

If the 8.00 fee is vatable then I guess it should read

£15.75 + 63p + 8.00 + 4.87 = 29.25

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

May be the morally correct answer, but is the wrong answer in this case.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Incorrect.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Whose local post office? UK or US? The reason the UK POs do it is that surface mail is available from the UK.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ah! I thought that it was eliminated in both directions. Thanks for the correction. It wasn't offered to me the last time I posted something to the US, so I had no reason to question it.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

It is only the goods for determining whether the VAT will be levied.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes, but in the context of the calculations that the OP was trying to make, the value he is interested in includes shipping.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on:

the price paid for the goods, plus; any local sales taxes, plus; postage, packing and insurance.

However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.

Adam Funk