OT Gridwatch - buggette

Posting here because I know the webmaster of gridwatch is a resident, and may or may not be aware of some minor issues.

On the gridwatch website there are info bubbles which pop up when you mouse over various dials.

With my normal setup (Win 10 and Firefox or Maxthon) the size of some of the speech bubbles is too small for the text they contain. For example the last visible words in the "wind" bubble are " The variability of wind leads to" and for Nuclear "Are generally signs that refuelling or".

I have checked with Opera, Chrome and IE and they all have large enough bubbles for the text they contain to be read and they work fine.

The new edge browser however, that is a bit chaotic if the window is to small to get in all of the dials, it attempts to reposition the dials without rescaling them and makes a bit of a mess. If the window is large enough it works fine.

If you are not aware of the issues I hope this is of some help.

Reply to
Chris B

Frankly I have already seen Microshit's latest offerings blue screen a computer when faced with vanilla HTML5, so I am not surprised.

I upped the font size in the bubbles because someone said they were too small ;-(

Sigh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My window size is 1920x1080 and it still scales the dials incorrectly. How big does it need to be?

Reply to
dennis

1630 x 825 plus browser borders.

Edge is basically broken, so use firefox..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Big surprise there. I watched a friend (trying to) use it yesterday and was surprised at just how bad it is. When you hover over a link, the true URL appears in the bottom left corner like most browsers. Unlike most browsers, however, it appears in black text on a dark grey background, with transparency, making it impossible to read.

This sort of thing should have been sorted out months ago.

M$ also claims it's been rewritten from the ground up, but apparently to get it ready in time it re-uses massive chunks of IE code with all that implies for security.

In other words, it's worth what you paid for it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

All fine here Safari 9.0.1. Text is a bit small but perfectly legible.

Reply to
Tim Streater

WTF is "edge"?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Microsofts built in Browser with Windows 10, e.g. Internet Explorer

Reply to
Eednud

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

An even shittier browser that M$ is trying to foist on the great unwashed, m'lud. It comes with something called "Windows 10".

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Shouldn't the bubbles be dynamic and size themselves to fit the the text at the size that is being used by the browser for that bubble?

Gut feeling says it's only a bit of carefully crafted CSS but how I donno.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Its not IE, that works in win10.

Reply to
dennis

Having installed W10 for a tryout, I see the same issue. Use the "Send Feedback" in Edge to report that Edge sucks. The fault is theirs, not TNP's .

Reply to
Richard

The edge comment was just in passing since I know that is broken and is basically still in beta, but something the web designer might or might not have been aware of. I was more concerned about FF as that is quite a stable browser and liked by a lot of people.

Reply to
Chris B

The issue with firefox is that it rather depends on what fonts you have installed.

Trying to make it look OK in linux/OSx and not look crap in winders is challenging.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its been fixed. There was a major update to win 10 yesterday, some new features and lots of fixes.

Reply to
dennis

The last one I was involved in used Java. It took the output of perfmon on a unix machine and displayed all the stats on a windows machine. That was in the early '90s.

The cells that displayed percentages had the figures and a bar that moved across so you could get a good idea at a glance and more accuracy if you looked at the numbers.

Reply to
dennis

Yes. I run Chrome in a non-default font size and it's amazing how many websites are unusable because text is truncated or the layout goes screwy. Fortunately a tweak of the browser zoom usually makes them usable again.

In the case of Gridwatch: The bubbles are about half as big as the text - the black text then spills onto the black background The titles for French/Dutch/Irish/Oil are too wide and overlay on top of each other.

It gets even worse when I start the debugger and the window size gets squished vertically - everything gets even smaller and tighter.

It appears the bubble is a constant-size with a background PNG - you could make it resize dynamically based on the text size. If it was an SVG there might be a cunning trick where you could parameterise the X/Y dimensions of the rectangle part of the bubble without resizing the pointer part.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

No it hasn't. Just checked for updates. This install is up to date and the page doesn't render properly.

Reply to
Richard

You don't have the latest release yet. Its probably a phased roll out like the initial version.

This is Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586

Reply to
dennis

What update was that?

I see none on 13/11/2015 (except Defender).

Reply to
polygonum