OT: Electric cars worse than petrol

Ummm, did you actually read the paper's conclusions? I ask, because they sa y the exact opposite of these reports. Here, I'll quote the actual conclusi on right from it:

"EVs are not likely to have a large impact on PM emissions from traffic"

To put numbers to that, they suggest that PM of 10 microns and larger will be 65.7 mg/vkm for an ecar, compared with 66.0 mg/vkm for a traditional ICE . For the smaller 2.5 micron PM, it's 22.4 mg/vkm vs. 23.2 mg/vkm. So basic ally, a very slight **advantage** to the EV.

Reply to
maury.markowitz

Had you read the actual paper, they actually reduce the brake wear contribution to zero.

The massive majority of the PM comes from 'resuspension' of dirt on the road due, which appears to be roughly linear with mass. The remaining contributions from tire and road wear is much smaller.

Perhaps read the paper instead of a 3rd party summary before making such declarations? Is that really too much to ask?

Reply to
maury.markowitz

say the exact opposite of these reports. Here, I'll quote the actual conclu sion right from it:

l be 65.7 mg/vkm for an ecar, compared with 66.0 mg/vkm for a traditional I CE. For the smaller 2.5 micron PM, it's 22.4 mg/vkm vs. 23.2 mg/vkm. So bas ically, a very slight **advantage** to the EV.

The bit I saw. The greener alternative produce more tiny particles from tyre and brake wea r because batteries and other parts needed to propel them make them heavier . It happens because when eco-cars accelerate or slow down the tyres and brak es wear faster, in turn producing more particulates. More particles are als o whipped up from the road surface because of the extra weight.

Which is total drivel. In any case any toxic particles "whipped up" are there as a result of ICE.

Reply to
harry