OT; Dodn't take long did it?

Following the very recent demise of Mr M Jackson, I received my first phishing e-mail this morning;

------------------------------------------ "Reimbursement due to death of Pop King{Michael Jackson}

Due to millions of people that bought tickets for the show,i advise you contact me immediately to avoid being on a long queue.

Mrs.Mitchelle Holmes, Head of operation"

Doesn't take the scumbags long does it?

Why can't they write the things in English?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Didn't.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dodn't was one of the Jackson Six.

Reply to
PeterC

Sounds like a Nigerian (417?) scam rather than phishing though.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I just looked, and there's one in my junkmail. The reply mail address points to a Microsoft host, so I assume it's an attempt to mailbomb microsoft indirectly, rather than to scam any money from you.

The poor English in Nigerian scams is 100% deliberate. It significantly increases the take-up rate, apparently. I recall reading why, but I can't remember now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Be glad they can't - makes them far less plausible.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, one might assume that if they're daft enough to spend money on an M. Jackson concert......

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

He sold over 100 million copies of Thriller. That's a lot of potential customers.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yep, phishers would certainly be interested in 100 million potential customers

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

I heard various figures on the news over last couple of days ranging from 55 million to 70 million, but not 100 million. However, even though that's the largest single one, this is only a tiny proportion of his total sales.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

True, but he *did* manage to hack-off a lot of fans at the time by releasing pretty much the whole thing as singles, too. Plus of course, the closer he gets to deification, the larger his sales will be reported to have been

Reply to
pete

Wikipedia says sales are estimated to between 47 to 100 million.

That is some accounting error. I wonder how many sales he paid tax on.

Adam

PS I bought the Album.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I seem to have missed it at the time - probably thought it wasn't my thing. I watched a poor quality version on youtube a couple of days ago and thought it was good. I also found that he took out a patent for leaning shoes

so I went on to watch "Smooth Criminal" stage show on youtube where they're used, and that was impressive too. I never much noticed his music before - strange how it can take someone's death to draw attention to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

22 years later it is still done. Not with patented shoes this time (see 1min 10 secs in)

MJ was a talented performer. Not my favourite performer but still innovative.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Duh

link here

ARWadsworth

million

Which is the source I used. And yet

that the Eagles Greatest hits outsold it - with 29 million.

Ah - but this one

29 million is the _USA_ONLY_ sales.

OK, a bit more digging:

I won't bother to wrap) Thriller, 109.

I'm bored with that. I don't even like it that much!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ