OT; Computer router thingy

No, that probably won't work.

If you have a router then you'll get that, if you are just connected to the modem you'll get nothing (AFAICR) as virgin dish out 192.168.1 addresses to client machines.

My default gateway is 192.168.1.10 - .100.1 is the only addr that works apparantly.

Of course, if you have a local 192.168.100.1 I suspect you are scuppered :)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

192.168.100.1 works as described.

ipconfig won't help - for example, this is what I get:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tinkerbell Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Edimax PCMCIA Wireless:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink Turbo Wireless LAN Card Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-2E-BC-B8-D2 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.112 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 March 2008 07:48:25 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 March 2008 13:48:25

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti on Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-0D-A0-4E-D1

Reply to
Rod

There appears to be a general issue with some ex-NTL users in some areas with the upgrade to 10M. VirginMedia tech support have asked in virginmedia.support.broadband.cable*

"If you are in an ex ntl area on a 4 meg service and our evenfaster site states that your upgrade should have been completed could you post in this thread?"

See thread titled "eX NTL 4 meg customers not had the 10 meg upgrades".

*one of the "private newsgroups" that can only be read by and posted to by Virgin Media customers.
Reply to
neverwas

not in every case, but it will in some, hence why I present it as an option just in case.

Odd when you consider that if your IP is in 192.168.1.0/24 as is your default gateway, then there is no route to 192.168.100.0 at all... (unless virgin themselves do some form of DNS redirect when the .100.1 request appears at their default gateway, or a manual route is added to the routing table on the PC by some other means).

quite possibly!

Reply to
John Rumm

They appear to do some jiggery pokery.

I have one of the 250 series modems which is used with cable as a backup connection. It's not suitable as a main connection because of dynamic single addressing.

During startup it has its own DHCP server which hands out an RFC1918 address (192.168.x.x) allowing access to the modem. After syncing and authenticating, the modem drops the ethernet link for a few seconds and then brings it back up, whereupon a single public address from a DHCP server in the network is provided.

One can still access the modem's RFC1918 address as long as the connecting device is manually set with a suitable static address in the range.

I have seen this mechanism fall apart with one router which did not initiate a new DHCP request because presumably the link down was too short in duration.

Another issue that I have seen is that if the router is rebooted, and issues DHCP requests, they are not always honoured by the DHCP server in the network. This implies repowering the modem, which is not good either.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Taking a link down and up isn't a mechanism for canceling a previously provided and as yet unexpired DHCP lease, so I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I know. Really they are just cheating and assuming that the connecting device will do a DHCP request on link up. Some devices will, some won't.

There is a second nasty.

If one goes through the startup and gets the public address and then changes the connecting device (different MAC address), their network DHCP server doesn't respond. Repowering the modem is required.

I suppose for basic domestic use of one device, it's workable, but then adding the problem of needing to faff about with DynDNS if one needs to have that, makes it a bit less than optimal. That's before the traffic shaping.

Reply to
Andy Hall

After a number of phone calls to Virgin on 150

"we can but we'll charge you for the upgrade" but it's free and automatic" "we'll have to charge you for the upgrade

"yes, you should have been updated, phone technical on 0906 2121111" "will they charge me?" "Yes but you can claim it back"

"...Hello technical bombay branch" "I have to phone you to get this upgrade sorted out" "Oh we can't do it, you have to phone 150 and they'll do it for you"

"hello 150 cust services, no, you'll have to phone 0906 2121111" "been there, they say you have to do it" "No you have to phone 0906 2121111" "but they said ... oh forget it, I have to go"

"Hello 150 customer services, no you'll have to phone 0906 2121111" "But ... can I speak to a manager?" "I'll get one to call you back, what's the number ?"

Did anyone call ? Did they f*ck

this evening ... "Hello 150, yes sir, several other people in your area seem to be experiencing the same problem, we're working on it at the moment"

AT LAST !

So there we have it, there's a technical problem

Reply to
geoff

I had a similar experience tonight. Virgins support is s**te compared to blueyonder.

SWMBO's new PC connects to the internet but her e mail won't work. Virgin claimed that OE6 will only work on one PC at a time, downloaded Thunderbird & that don't not work either.

Bugger!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You probably already know but for the record technical support for ex-BY users is still both free and based in the UK if you use the VM user groups (virginmedia.support.e-mail, virginmedia.support.broadband.cable etc. I have found them pretty good on the couple of occasions I've had cause to use them. They are open only 08:00 to 22:00 (but outside those hours there are users who may be able to help).

Reply to
neverwas

Are you using POP access or IMAP?

With POP, unless you arrange for messages to be left on the server (setting in the email client, sometimes), then they will be removed from it after downloading to the next computer that accesses the mail server. In effect, you will end up with some messages on each depending on what had arrived since the last connection.

IMAP allows much more flexibility. You can store the inbox and some other folders on the mail server. The messages are typically still downloaded and cached locally but remain on the server until you explicitly move or delete them. If you connect using another machine, then that will be updated according to what is on the server, essentially what you want.

Have a look at

the bottom of the page and try setting up a new email account on both machines. Then try sending mail to it. Ideally you shouldn't have the mail application on both machines open at the same time for the same user, but many IMAP servers support that properly. I can't vouch specifically for what VM has implemented.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've found it to be hugely better than NTL was - sure, it's expensive but both times I've rung they have offer a credit without me even asking.

Yeah, it's not great, and yeah, it's an indian call centre but at least now they answer the phone in a reasonable time and you don't end up on hold for hours.

Partly true (if you are using virgins supplied service) but it's nothing to do with OE - afaicr, virgin only offer POP3 and not IMAP. If so, the first time you connect the email will be downloaded to that machine.

There are ways around this...or, see if you can get multiple email accounts (instead of one account/login that recieves email for multiple addresses)

Indeed :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

They claim to offer IMAP

That doesn't solve the problem of a given user reading mail on more than one machine using the same email account

Reply to
Andy Hall

b) starts up, asks for username & password, you fill that in & click OK, box just appears again & again & again.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like it is failing to authenticate. What is the other computer doing during this time? Is its email software running?

Reply to
John Rumm

Without going into great detail .. that usually means the username and or password is wrong. You sure you've set the POP3.yourisp.co.uk etc how it ought be?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Usually yes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Indeed. A 20 minute conversation @ £0:25 a minute with Virgins tech support. They verified passwords & settings, which were right anyway.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One possibility is that the pop3 server does not allow simultaneous login from two machines to the same pop account. You may want to check that the email polling interval on each machine is different or that they are started out of phase.

You may find you can see what the error actually is if you try to talk directly to the mail server using a telnet client rather than an email package.

Details of how to do this can be found here:

John Rumm

one machine habitually accesses it, including lost mail, download of some mail to one client and the rest to another and so on. Not all servers properly implement the function to leave emails on the server even after download.

IMAP is a better solution for multiple client machines.

Reply to
Andy Hall