OT; Computer router thingy

If you are on size L, 4mb you will be getting a free upgrade to 10mb in the near future, use this link to order a new modem, make sure you tick the box for "ethernet" connection

Bazza

Exactly, it should all be taken care of without the user having to know/worry. Just that every thing seems to come with an Install CD, so most people will obediently put that in first, let their home page be changed to whatever the manufacturer wants, and such... then the user has to figure out how to change the home page back - far too difficult for many. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

Might be easier to learn how to use the camera :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Probably but I was asked to "sharpen" some colour prints of a Willis jeep and personnel taken in 1944 and taking the photo again would seem problematical ;-).

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Or mobile phone in this case :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are paying too much. ;-) We used to pay less than 20p three years ago. My local computer shop paid even less but they didn't have snag proof ends. USB cables are about 12p BTW.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for all the replies chaps, a fairly painless trip to Staples, a Belkin 4 port router & a 5m cable. All now works, SWMBO happy - so I'm happy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Thats a very good product and includes VAT...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Neil scribeth thus

Yes.. One of our commercial customers arranged for good 'ole BT to put broadband in at two sites for a project..

Right saga.. and one site still has no BT broadband after 5 sodding weeks I really don't know why they persist in using the wallies..

And the CD that came with the BT toy town router was the first thing in the bin:))...

Reply to
tony sayer

.. and very lucky....

Reply to
Andy Hall

networking effectiveness. (The blurry thing getting in the way of the picture is an ethernet connector, though :-) )

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

any idea which year this will come about ?

It's not happened yet

Reply to
geoff

Do you need a faster cable modem perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you tried rebooting the modem. Every upgrade I've had to to get the new speed.

Reply to
<me9

Checked the list before and no, "NTL 250" - it's OK

Reply to
geoff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

I thought about that, but haven't

I'm going out, I may be some time ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

job done - no difference, just under 4meg

Reply to
geoff

Don't know if you are aware, but if you go to http://192.168.100.1/and login as root with a password of root you can see what settings they are sending to your modem (I think that works with the 250 - certainly does with the NTL 120).

Go to "operation configuration" and you should see the max data rates. If that still says 4Mbit then that's the most you'll get - it'll change when you are upgraded (but yeah, needs a reboot of the modem - it only gets it's config on reboot)

Obviously, a speed test isn't always an acurate answer. My modem is saying

Network Access : Enabled Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 bps Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000 bps Maximum Number of CPEs : 1 Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

as I've got a 20Mbit service - speedtests at this time of the evening never tend to show much above 5Mbit though :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Hmmm

I'll try that ... this evening cheers

Reply to
geoff

and if that address does not work, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and hit return. Look at the address shown as the "defualt gateway" and try typing that into your web browser.

Reply to
John Rumm