OT : Best boiler?

A touch OT as it's not strictly DIY, but we are in need of a new gas fired boiler for our heating and hot water, but I really have have no idea what type I should be asking to be fitted, or if there are alternatives (other than solar)

We are an end of terrace 2 bedroom in which we only have 5 radiators, although I intend replacing these as they are only singles not doubles.

Can anyone give me an idea what types of boiler we might need, any pitfalls to watch out for, any sales pitch's we might come across, why we should go for one design over another, best place to site such etc etc?

TIA

Reply to
Tx2

Well, I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but I can say that my mam had an Alpha CD32C

and a matching EasyStat 7-day wireless programmer/thermostat installed about 18 months ago and it's been excellent - very reliable and very quiet in operation. In fact, we were so impressed that when our boiler needed replacing 12 months ago, we went for the same.

Obviously, I can't really attest to their longevity (being only 18 months) but one thing that really impressed us was the 3-year warranty. I don't know if others do that now but at the time my mam had hers fitted (and ours as well), Alpha were the only manufacturer to offer 3 years.

Just my two-penneth - I'm sure someone will be along soon to slag off Alphas :o)

JellyBelly

Reply to
JellyBelly

Slightly out-of-date info since nearly all boilers have to be condensing now, but my brother installed a Worcester Bosch 24 boiler and I installed a Vaillant Turbomax 28 combi. Both have performed without incident for 18 months and three years respectively. However, I know nothing about new condensing boilers from the same people. I think both offer two year warranties.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

In terms of where to site... Put it in the loft if you can. Out of the way, silent operation. You need to have a decent light up there, and the area surrounding needs to be boarded out, ideally with grab rails or something to prevent a careless CORGI from falling through your ceiling. But if you've done those things anyway to get extra storage space, having it in the loft is ideal.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

I will be replacing my 12 year old Ferroli combi boiler soon, with another Ferroli. Who says the replacement has to be a condensing model ? Who is going to stop me fitting what I want ?

Reply to
bomb#20

OTOH a boiler does heat the space its in, as well as the water and the air just outside.. Mine is in a cupboard in the room that has the washing machine and tumble drier. The top of the cupboard has lots of racks for drying damp towels etc. Its virtually noiseless..the main noise being the balanced flue..which IS a pain as in wind it can blow the flame out, and there is a slight smell of burnt paraffin down that side of the house..next time a proper cowled flue...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you fit it yourself, practically, nobody.

If and when you come to sell the house, it *may* be picked up by a purchaser's solicitor on the enquiry sheet. At that point, if there were an enquiry that included the subject, you would have to admit that you had fitted a non-condensing boiler after the cut off date, or lie about it.

If you have a CORGI fitter to do the work, he *should* insist on a condensing model unless the location makes it impractical, based on a points system, to fit one.

While the notion that governments should dictate what we do and don't buy does rankle, for the most part not fitting a condensing model would be cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I do know that Ariston have a free 5 year warranty extended after the first year on the householder getting it serviced each year .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

A house like that needs a combi. Best boilers? Viessmann, Eco-Hometec, Atmos, Etag. RR quality. Down the list comes Glow Worm and Viallant, Worcester-Bosch.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The law of the land.

No one until they catch you. Why would anyone want to fit a non-condensing boiler that uses more gas is beyond me. Condensing boilers are cheap and easy to fit.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nobody, with the proviso you can buy a new one but it may get picked up when you sell your house? Not a problem if the house is a keeper, nor if you can source a working pre-2006 Ferroli secondhand.

I tend to agree with another poster though, you might as well get a condenser with gas prices being so high, they are about 10% more efficient than a non-condenser.

I agree with your general spirit of yah boo sucks to the government though!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com thought we might be interested in the following...

Thanks, to everyone, for answering. I now at least have some names and a better idea of what to look for.

Reply to
Tx2

We have a FAQ which may help to answer some of your question. See below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In article , snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk thought we might be interested in the following...

Reply to
Tx2

I don't, I like Tony Blair. Fabulous.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which makes it 20 years in advance of your knowledge.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off.

Reply to