OT: Apropos defragging and SSDs.

You do realize you would need a different translation layer for each file system type including the RAW ones used by database engines and the OS would have to know how to update this translation layer and the performance gain would probably be negative due to the extra lookups.

Reply to
dennis

You do realise you haven't a clue what you are talking about, don't you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You do realize that you are an idiot and are obviously going senile? Have you had the test yet?

Reply to
dennis

I've had so many I lost count Dennis.

But in your case, I don't think there is a test for your condition

There certainly isn't a cure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Corse there is, summary execution, stupid.

Reply to
764hho

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

It's denise. No surprise there.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I would expect the internal RAID arrangements along with the wear levelling algorithms would prevent any external strategy from achieving much in reality.

Reply to
John Rumm

and you are missing the point that whatever the higher layer controller does the primary device will STILL have to be read to retrieve the data

For (at least the third time) the higher layer controller is entirely irrelevant to the access time of the file from the primary device

Um, no it's not

I AM specifically referring to the time taken to read the data from the primary device.

Irrelevant

tim

Reply to
tim...

What does contiguous mean in this context then?

Reply to
Nick

Compared with spinning rust the effect is trivial. Microseconds, not milliseconds, to move to a different area of the .. err.. media.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You've got lots of experience with Linux, and not much with Windows. You find Windows hard to manage.

I've got lots of experience with Windows, and not much with Linux.

It's just taken me two days to write a device driver to waggle one bit in a GPIO. Because there's NO ******** DOCUMENTATION. No samples, no manuals, nothing. So I have to reverse engineer somebody else's code. Which is like as not broken or using obsolete features.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

True. And in fact is isn't even microseconds with a decent controller chip. Its nano seconds.

What is slow on SSD is writing. Reading is almost without latency. Seeking doesn't really have any additional time penalty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I said that at the start

I was merely trying to explain that defragging does have AN effect, not that the effect matters to the end user

tim

Reply to
tim...