OT - any Raspberry PI / Debian Squeeze experts out there ?

When I bought a case for my R-Pi from Amazon, there were HDMI to VGA adapters in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section for under £12 (including delivery).

Reply to
Geoff Clare

Hmm, I wonder if the analogue YUV signals needed to form the single analogue composite signal are brought out as pins on the video IC? It'd still need conversion to RGB, but I think there are ways of doing this quite cheaply, and the quality would be a lot better than deconstructing a single composite signal into RGB and sync.

Yeah, I've got an old PC with composite output on the video (it's an ATI card, I think) and it's watchable on a TV. Not good, but watchable.

I've got another board kicking around which has S-video output, so it's on the to-do list to build a converter for that and try it (I've still only got composite input at the far end, but I'm curious to see if running the video via a good-quality S-video cable and then doing the conversion at the far end improves things)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'm using a Pi to display live results of a sporting event with the data being served from a Windows PC over WiFi. The Pi has no keyboard, is connected to the monitor with an HDMI->DVI-D cable and a USB cable for power. The Pi boots straight into the application and contact with the server and configuration is automatic.

The display results are received by a Python script and displayed on a scrolling display.

Reply to
Pete Shew

I thought they cooked that on professional masterchef the other night :-0

Reply to
whisky-dave

The hardwired is on recall

That's the replacement

Reply to
geoff

Thanks to all for their comments & suggestions....

Another question.. I happen to have 'by me' a spare one of these

will play a slideshow from USB memory or an SD card. Ideally, it'd like to talk to a conventional TV set (video out options are AV or YPbPr. I have a spare LCD monitor, but it only has connections for conventional PC RGB (15-pin D) and DVI

What's the simplest way to get the nobx to display on the monitor - or is it one of those cases where buying a small LCD TV would work out simpler / cheaper ??

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, "Adrian Brentnall" writ:

How about a good, old fashioned, modulator i.e. audio and video in, UHF signal out?

Reply to
Percy

I'd like to think that any TV made in the past 15-20 years has composite video in, so no need for a modulator..

My old Sony tube TV has the "usual" yellow, red and white video & audio phono connectors on the front and a brand new 16" flatscreen I bought (specifically for the Pi) has everything - HDMI, SCART (via an adapter), compsite and uhf...

I've used my Pi on my old TV and it was fine. (As wel las on a 30 year old monochrome monitor)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Hi That's not the problem - it's the other way round I need to take a signal that's coming out of the Nbox and turn it into something suitable for the PC monitor... Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Gordon That's not the problem. I have an output in composite video (AV or YPbPr) and I'd like to display it on a PC monitor (because I have a spare monitor but no spare TV....) It may be one of those things that just gets too complicated / expensive... Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, "Adrian Brentnall" writ:

Sorry but, "Ideally, it'd like to talk to a conventional TV set" was the bit that caught my attention and I assumed that you did not have the AV etc. input option available hence, the modulator suggestion.

Reply to
Percy

Should be, which is what one of my Pis is earmarked for. However a lack of Copious Free Time and Tuits has so far stopped me building it. If you do find this code around, then please let us all know.

Or composite video, which goes into SCART quite easily and allows you to use an old TV.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Copious Free Time and Tuits has so far stopped me building it. If you do find this code around, then please let us all know.

- those Round Tuits are in short supply!

Well - very short-term - have a simple solution with one of those digital photo frames - not as big as I'd have liked, but as it's only displaying text at the moment, it'll do...

Long-term, my 'spare' computer monitor could be pressed into service - but the 'laptop-that-came-to-me-in-bits-in-a-Sainsbury's-carrier-bag' that could drive the monitor is currently streaming mp3 music in the workshop... and I don't have an 'old' tv to display analog video... so we're not really a lot further forward!

Seems that AV-to-VGA is non-trivial....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall