OT - any Raspberry PI / Debian Squeeze experts out there ?

HI Folks I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb SD-card for about ?40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing keyboard input b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA... anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Is that a fruit based drink for the Ladies?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

definitely.

I suspect so.

A bit of scripting required..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sure, just don't go into X and use a console based utility for viewing a slideshow of images. Perhaps using fbi which is available in raspbian. Have it run as part of the boot.

Harder part might be doing HDMI to VGA. Converters for that weren't cheap when I last looked.

Reply to
HarpingOn

Use a display with DVI or HDMI (the video part is the same and you just need a cable to convert the video between them, but not the digital audio, if you need it you need HDMI).

maybe you would be better off with

dennis

It's was a big mistake to omit VGA output from the Pi IMHO. I looked into the cost of a converter and decided instead to buy a new monitor.

Reply to
Mark

Similar to this

£39.99 or £47.99 including VAT?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Anyone know if it is possible to use one of the USB-to-video (whether VGA, DVI or HDMI) devices with a Raspberry Pi?

Reply to
polygonum

Yes and yes.

If you want true VGA then its somewhat harder. HDMI to DVI is just a lead. To VGA is a more complicated converter. Having said that, any TV will have HDMI these days.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't know,but I do know there are problems with other USB devices due to the drivers included with the particular flavour of Linux often used with the R-Pi.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

And any monitor will have DVI. Why is anyone farting about with VGA these days?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't think their target market needed it enough to justify the cost - it has composite video and HDMI so most houses have something it can talk to. (The chip they are using does not have SVGA support)

Reply to
Malcolm G

Yes, it auto-boots on power up anyway and you can set it to do passwordless login. All that's then needed is to get a suitable picture display program to run (see below) which should be easy enough though you might have to ask for some help to do it.

Well it can certainly do this, I've set mine up to do it. I'm using a program called jbrout and it chunters through displaying a 1080p image from my digital camera jpegs quite happily. It takes about 4 seconds to process the image (but the screen isn't blank, it just continues to display the previous one).

Reply to
tinnews

You could use something like

Costs a bit more, but comes with a case and remote control, and has VGA out.

Alan Braggins

By login at all?

just run your program as root under the init process (or whatever its called these days). Sick the script in /etc/rc2.d IIRC,

All that's then needed is to get a suitable

Chug chug..

Everything written in python is slow..and often buggy too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm, that's interesting... wonder if it's configurable for NTSC rates, or if it's PAL only?

How is it for networking ability? If it's got Ethernet then presumably there's nothing to stop you running graphical apps on it and using a remote machine as the display.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Because that's all they need?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Because ICBA to buy more monitor leads when I have a big boxful of VGA ones?

Reply to
Huge

They gave some crap about VGA being legacy technology but *every* monitor has a VGA input, but many don't have HDMI/DVI. I had lots of monitors lying around but not one with a digital input. I would be happy to pay extra for a Pi with VGA output, if one was available.

And composite video is s**te. I won't use for TV let alone a monitor.

Reply to
Mark

None of my monitors have DVI (except the new one I bought especially for the Pi) and none of my TVs have HDMI. I don't chuck out working stuff just so I can buy the lastest fashions.

Reply to
Mark