OT; Alan A Daiswerk

Got a call from a lady wanting 'a few jobs' doing. Brief discussion about the sort of thing she wanted done. My standard response in these cases is to book for the day & do as much as possible.

Arrived at the job & was handed the list (my comments in brackets).;

------------------------------------------------ Tile Bathroom & En-suite floors (remove old laminate, screw down chipboard floor, prime, tile, grout). Repair mastic, (fill, rub down & paint) door-frame, (rub down & paint) walls & ceiling in Ensuite Repair Mastic in Bathroom Re-paint outside door-frame & porch support post. Paint kitchen ceiling, mastic/seal around rear-door; other tiny ceiling chips downstairs Fix (2) blinds in Kitchen & Master bedroom Change taps around the house (2 x monoblocks, 3 pairs of basin taps) Fix door near stairs ( custom build frame in alcove, install & paint door) Kid's room - Shorten light, paint around switch, put back curtain-rail and glue top of wardrobe. Fix Book-case.

She was quite surprised that I couldn't do that lot in a day :-)

Must start wearing underpants over trousers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wouldn't that make them overpants?

Reply to
Rod

With your job, I thought that must be a necessity.:-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And TMH has tried to convince some that he was 'Superhandyman' and nothing could defeat him - but the truth will out eh?

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

Yup, I admit it - I didn't get around to glueing the top of the wardrobe...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But they can do all that in a day on television ...

Maybe she should have called the MedwayHandyAndyMan

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This sounds just like what happens when we go to visit my old (70's, that's age - not decade ) mum. "Oh, while you're here could you just .... " I've now taken to loading up the car with every portable tool and spare part I own whenever we're invited round for sunday lunch, though she still manages to come up with jobs that I'm not tooled up (or clued up) for.

The irritating part is that even though I ask when accepting the invitation if there are any jobs she needs, the answer is always "Oh no, dear. I don't think so." there's always Hercules' list of labours waiting when we arrive.

Reply to
pete

You don't think there could be a connection between you asking and the list appearing?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Not with most elderly mothers. Their devious thinking would have it saying there were jobs needing doing might cancel the visit.;-)

Mine:-

Mum: Would you like some bramble jelly or strawberry jam with my scones - they're all home made. Me: Oh - lovely. Bramble jelly, please. Mum: And what's wrong with the strawberry jam?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I meant that the mere asking probably set her off thinking about it and by the time you arrive.....

Reply to
Phil Addison

=A0 London SW

Yes and oh yes to those all - just yesterday ! An hours drive and only a few tools left over from my Dad's workshop now. And it was plum jam, freshly made !

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

That isn't mothers Dave, it's WOMEN, aka "Which dress do you prefer?"

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)