OT Advice Sought on Projectors

I don't know of a DVD player that runs Powerpoint or excel or word, any of which might be used to generate screens on a laptop to put up on the projector. Part from showing what a dick you are what else are you trying to prove?

Reply to
bert

I was wondering if anyone had any views re conventional lamp v LCD's

Reply to
bert

Try reading and understanding the context.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LEDs are not quite there yet if you want something that will work in subdued daylight as opposed to pitch dark projection theatre conditions.

Expect a spare lamp to cost almost as much as the projector :( It may well be better to buy a new projector than replace the lamp!

The technology is advancing so fast that you gain resolution by buying new and with a bit of luck a quieter projector. The noise when operating at full brightness can be a distraction.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've fitted a lot of projectors and have found Optoma to be reasonably priced and very reliable - important when they're nailed up 30' off the floor in a chancel, etc!

Light output (lumens) is the over-riding spec driver really - more is better and you're digging about at the adequate rather than impressively bright end of the market. Saying that, £300 now is brighter than £1500 was 10 years ago!

They all come with assorted inputs and, at that price point, much of a much focal length. Esoteric inputs like USB, network, etc are never used.

Don't buy a "name" - have found NEC, Hitachi etc amongst the least reliable.

Reply to
Scott M

Our U3A did some research recently as we have several old ones that need replacing, and Benq came out well.

We've found keystone adjustment and zoom are useful features, particularly if it's going to be used at different venues.

Reply to
Reentrant

It's not either/or! You shine a ruddy huge bulb through a small LCD and some lenses to project the picture :-) Similar idea to a laptop screen with its backlight.

Reply to
Scott M

It's generally easier and cheaper to play DVDs back through a laptop than bother with separates these days.

Reply to
Scott M

2nd for Benq.

All come with vertical keystone. Zoom is an interesting one. On many projectors the zoom is very minimal, just enough to adjust tie the picture in nicely to the screen after being mounted on the ceiling, but as said here, some makers do put quite a long adjustment on theirs.

Reply to
Scott M

Oh quite. I was just curious about any projector which wouldn't work with a variety of sources.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Consider replacement lamp availability. Ensure that you can readily get a replacement without it being too obscure.

Whan you have it - ensure you keep the air filter clean (if it has one) or it will overheat. Also instruct people not to turn it off immediatley after a show. The fan needs to run to cool it all down in a controlled way.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I reckon in a casual use VH type environment unless you absolutely have to be able to use it even with a bulb failure (so have to keep a spare) the chances are that by the time you actually need a new bulb the next generation of projectors (or hand me downs) will be cheaper.

That is a good point well made. They really don't like being switched off at the wall whilst still mad hot or jolted with the filament hot. You can seriously shorten the bulb life that way.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I had a Sagem DLP back projection TV. Of course panicked about lamp life, so bought it from JL with their usual 5 year warranty. And never needed it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't recommend any make or model but I give quite a few presentations and colour quality can be a long way off what you would imagine on some projectors, with yellow turning to green and red to black. This may be an effect that incereases with age, but it can affect some presentations substantially and I would definitely recommend trying out whatever model you decide on before committing hard cash.

Reply to
GMM

the kalee wouldnt

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's the impression I got from ploughing through technical descriptions.

No quite that bad. New Infocus lamp c£140. New Epsom lcd lamps c£80

In the end I've gone for an Infocus 2126a. Has it's own memory and can also play Powerpoint and Office files direct from USB memory stick. SO most of the time won't even need to take the laptop.

Reply to
bert