Opening up fireplace

I have a class 1 chimney with a living flame gas fire. I intend to disconnect it, rip out the fire surround and take out the fireback. So basically there will be a big hole right back to the original chimney breast brick work. I will then put in a small multi fuel 5kw stove.

My questions are :

Do I need to line/shield the orginal stck brickwork from the heat of the stove ? I've seen lots of stoves slotted into fireplaces in this way and the brickwork doesn't appear treated or shielded so I'm suspecting it is OK.

If I want to paint the bricks, do I need to use special paint or will emulsion be fine ?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
BeerBoy

You need to read Part J of the Building Regulations. Installing a woodburner is notifiable building work.

may be a liner already in place, though it's unlikely to be suitable for solid fuel.

Is there any sort of terminal other than a traditional pot on top of the chimney? That will probably have to come off or be changed.

You'll also need a suitable masonry hearth to meet current regs.

Having a solid fuel rated stainless steel liner is expensive (I think mandatory in changing the use of a masonry chimney - but I'd have to re-read the docs to be certain), but it will reduce potentially dangerous sooting, make it easier to clean of soot and considerably reduce both the risk of and dangers from a chimney fire.

You might also need to increase/provide fixed ventilation into the room.

Probably not the answers you wanted to hear - the cost of a liner can easily exceed the cost of a stove.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for the reply. I understand about the chimney liner and have arranged for that to be done.

My questions were specifically about the recess area I'm going to create and wether I had to shield or treat the bricks in this area. Also if I want to paint them, then what paint is suitable.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Read the regs - they are available online. If you place your stove correctly then you can do what you like with surrounding surfaces - either the stove fitter or Building Control will advise too.

Jim

Reply to
jim