one-piece shower wall panels

Tired of leak after leak am about to strip out shower tray, repair what rot I find underneath, remove door, mixer and tiles from 3 walls of cubicle and refit all. I have seen one piece wall panels of laminate or similar and thought I would use them, so:

Are they any good? not backed with chipboard or anything ridiculous ?

Where do you get them? Suprisingly difficult to find - screwfix, no; toolstation, no; b&q yes but only thin and tile patterned:...

I want them rigid, because the tiles are going to pull a lot of rotten plaster off the old walls for sure and I won't have a good surface to stick them to. Is that how they are?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

They are fairly easily available e.g. here:

They look good,and work well if properly sealed at the corners, but I have never installed them myself so can't speak for their rigidity.

Peter

Reply to
PJK

We had these on our bathroom walls for years before I succumbed and gutted and tiled the place.

There were OK, no probs with water getting through them as long as the edges are sealed OK.

They're not particularly stiff though.

Reply to
R D S

Just google shower laminate. E.g. Aquaboard, Multipanel. The ones I have used are good quality plywood with melamine facing (like old "formica") about 8 mm thick. Pretty rigid. Not cheap but you will never go back to tiles once you have used them. Joins and corners use aluminium extrusions. Worth having a sawboard for accurate cutting. Think carefully about how you are going to slot them together into place. Ideally use a shower tray where they fit against an upstand but they can be sealed OK without.

You can also get cheaper PVC panels, but not so robust. I did use PVC "tongue and groove" cladding for the "roof" thought.

Reply to
newshound