One for "Dynamo Dave"

That is my view. If I saw a wind turbine going at that sort of rate I'd stop and watch (from a distance). If I had a movie camera I'd film it.

Agreed duff editing.

Automatically feather the blades, face it into the wind, apply brakes and pray. If any part of the automatics fail, then you "have a problem".

A Vestas turbine again I read in the Copenhagen Post link. There have been a couple of Vestas turbine collapses in this country in the last year. Both in high winds...

and

?id=583095
in the BBC News Story:

"The Health and Safety Executive said it would not investigate the incident as no-one was hurt. Police and the turbine owners are looking into the collapse."

The news (rather than opinion) from the Cumberland News: "The wind turbine collapse is thought to be the first of its kind in the

29-year history of the British Wind Energy Association."

Er have the BWEA got a *very* short memories or doesn't the Scottish collapse count for some reason... The off-grid link implies that the Scottish collapse is down to "foul play". I haven't found any reports, preliminary or otherwise, into the reasons behind either collapse, has anyone else?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Its just one more nail in the coffin, for me. These things already use - due to the low load factors - more materials than a proper turbine set should, and each one needs regular maintenance, from a team that is going to have to be there onsite ..and that means thousands of people looking after them on ny large scale implementation.

Two technologies vanished overnight due almost COMPLETELY to their servicing requirements being massively more than the replacement: The steam locomotive and the piston engined commercial aeroplane.

It was te same erason that on the Fens the windmill pumps were replaced wit first steam engines ,then diesels, and then electrics..lower and lower maintenance required.

Largely because the windmills were so pathetic at pumping you needed one in every field at least. Whereas a big steam engine could drain tens of square miles..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
geoff

I presume what's audible is a much closer one, out of shot.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor