Work Safe - NOT

Just spotted a couple of guys, with a signed up Transit, doing some pointing on a semi gable end wall, type where the wall continues up to the roof apex and pointing right up to the apex. Two double extension ladders leaning against the wall, with metal brackets at the top, so as to support a walk board level. The walk board like an alloy ladder, but filled by a board. A third double extension to climb up to working level on.

No safety ropes, no kick boards nothing and there they were pointing at the apex down. It made me cringe to just watch them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That will give the Brexiteers hope. Once we leave the EU and get rid of all that silly H&S legislation, such things will be the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

bm presented the following explanation :

When ??? Seems very unlikely to me..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If somehow Labour can hint at an exit Brexit option they may well have a chance at the election.

Reply to
RJH

McDonnell would take the UK back to the 1970s. Strikes, RedRobbo (remember him?) etc. He'd probably support the return of the IRA too, & introduce Mao's Little Red Book into schools. Lovely!

Reply to
Martin Barclay

They were called suicide brackets years ago I pointed a 3story flank wall off them when I still had a disregard for H+S and no fear of heights :)

-
Reply to
Mark

jim expressed precisely :

Quite possibly, I wasn't able to read the signage on the van, due to the angle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

like we don't have strikes now !!!

Reply to
critcher

Its one of the few freedoms they really hope for, the ability to kill others without breaking the silly EU rules.

Shame that the EU doesn't make the rules. Its more down to insurance companies these days.

Reply to
dennis

You don't remember the 1970s do you.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I do. That was when UK companies were owned by the UK. The now foreign owners tend to value their workforce rather more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

aka a "Ladder Cripple"

(you can still get posh versions that have added guard rails etc)

John Rumm

Blimey, £700 and ladders and stabilisers (and toe board) not included? ! I like the comment in the review "Don't forget to charge your customers a s if you had hired it and then you will be well in profit." I'll remember t hat next time I get an estimate for work done on my house, I'll want to see the price for hiring of staging, etc.!

On a similar subject, I spent a couple of hours last weekend perched on the very top step of an aluminium ladder with a long handled brush in one hand and a hose in the other, cleaning the mossy crud off the top of a caravan. T'was a bit wobbly...

Reply to
Halmyre

Halmyre presented the following explanation :

I park the caravan tight up to the garage and work from it's flat roof. Then for the far out of reach bits, I put board over the caravan's roof.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

jim brought next idea :

I doubt the longevity of the work too, they did the entire wall in two days and I saw no attempt to cut out the old mortar :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Maybe they are ex Circus performers?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pole I'spect.

harry

John Rumm expressed precisely :

That, but with just the brackets and board, no kick boards, no safety rail. There was also no stabilisers on the ladders, because there was no space between the wall and a garage to use them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tell that to the ex-Rowntree and/or cadbury workers who have seen the products they used to make in the UK, have production moved to Poland and other places.

Reply to
Andrew

Don't worry, Dave will blame the previous owners for selling.

Reply to
Richard