Old Potterton 80 boiler parts (35yrs old)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a spare parts supplier for a Potterton 80 wall-flame oil-fired boiler. I need to locate a control unit (or is it called control panel) which may have been made by Kingsway - and the boiler dates back to 1971.

Replacing the boiler is not viable as the house will be sold within the next few years and totally modernised.

any help or suggestions much appreciated thank you jackie pace

Reply to
miss-pea

Do you have a photo of the part you need?

Reply to
sponix

came up trumps for my ~20 year old E.L.M. LeBlanc a year ago.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

The very few 70s boiler control systems I've seen have all been minimalist and mechanical, with just a thermostat for safety protecion. Such systems tend to be easy to hack using other makes of bits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NT suffers from delusions of technical competence. Ignore him.

Scrap the boiler. This is an absolute no-brainer

A modern boiler will be far more efficient. The fuel savings over a 'few years' will offset most, or all, of the costs of replacement and will add something to the value of the property when sold.

Even if you can get the old boiler repaired, it is more likely to fail and you will find you are unable to source spare parts at short notice.

Reply to
Aidan

Getting a "new" replacement will be almost impossible unless you are lucky enough to find some old stock on someones shelf. Geoff at CET might be able to recon it but it could be difficult.

Otherwise your best bet is to scour scrapyards and maybe the local heating installers who may have pulled one out lately. Off hand I can't picture this particular boiler but you may find the box from an old Wilson wallflame might do.

Are you sure it is the box which is at fault btw? common failure was the flame stat IIRC (which is incredibly expensive if you do find one)

Reply to
John

replying to Aidan, Pat wrote: My Potterton Wallflame Boiler has been going for 38 years in my kitchen and it was second hand then. If I had installed new ones every few years as the sellers have suggested the cost would have been phenomenal over that timescale AND they would most likely have wanted to install a further radiator to heat the kitchen. The environmental impact of producing short-lived new boilers is unacceptable to me. My boiler needs servicing now and I have not found another engineer to do it since the last one retired. Over the years we had been able to buy parts that needed replacing and I should like to carry on doing so, Anybody know of an engineer near Northallerton, please?

Reply to
Pat

I replaced a much more modern BF RS Potterton some ten years ago with a decent condensing type, as I was doing major works in that room, so was a good time to do so. It has more than covered the costs in reduced gas bills.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's not a lot of complexity in servicing a wallflame. A short service requires you to remove the top of the combustion chamber ta king care not to damage the heat resisting sheet under said panel. Note the arrangement of the flame spreaders sitting on the ring around the bottom of the chamber. Remove them and scrape the deposits off the sides of the chamber. Vacuum the debris out taking care to ensure the porcelain ignition probe in sulator is cleaned out too. Check the ignition probe gap to the flame ring is ok (from memory it's abou t 6 - 8 mm). Note over the years the ignition arc burns a hole in the flame ring. Repair clips are made to remedy this problem. It's also useful to tr ap a bit of fibreglass or fibrefrax wick under the clip to improve lighting of the fuel by the arc. Gently lift the rotor out and use a torch to look down the fuel well to che ck the wear plate below is flat. The rotor has a ball bearing at the bottom which sits on the plate. If it's grinding a pit into the wear plate you ne ed to turn over or replace the wear plate and rotate the ball to provide a fresh contact surface. You need to trip off the fuel supply to do this. With a teapot spout brush or similar and adopting the praying position clea r the air intakes under the combustion unit. If you haven't altered any adjustments then check the oil supply filters, r eplacing the parts as found and restoring the fuel supply should be good to go. A professional would carry out a combustion check but as long as no setting s were changed the readings are invariably the same as the last visit.

Reply to
Cynic