Old 13A plugs

This page also agrees with the 'inspection' explanation for the hole by the earth pin...

Reply to
docholliday93

I just used a plug I had made up with the live and neutral connected together and got Lee Spensley (the school idiot) to go around plugging it into as many sockets as he could.

Reply to
ARW

So it does.

I have seen at least one example of the plug with the fuse rating indicator pointer in the dim and distant.

Incidentally the 5A adapter picture I posted does not show the brand name clearly, but it's "Grelco". A Google search uncovered the fact that the Grelco name is now used generically to describe a particular type of double 15A round pin adapter used in stage lighting.

Reply to
Graham.

Magnesium ribbon straight into the unshuttered L & N of a socket. Switch on.

Reply to
polygonum

prefer modern wiring overall, even if some aspects of it are pointless.

historic wiring practices.

To put things into perspective, out of 7 billion people, that's:

0.0000000429% of the world every second. 1.35% per year.

So I don't believe you. 1.35% per year? Yeah right.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Yes, right. Approximate life expectancy 50 so in-or-around 2% die every year.

Reply to
Windmill

Of electric shocks? I don't think so.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

fibreboard pressed into the hole on older MK plugs

Or a blob of some resin, brown or black.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

fibreboard pressed into the hole on older MK plugs

Although the one I managed to find in my box of bits had nothing at all covering the rivet, although it was set quite a way below the surface. Since it would be inaccessible when the plug was in a socket I suppose that it doesn't really matter...

Reply to
docholliday93

I still have a couple of Bakelite adapters.

one that pugs into a BC light fitting and allows you to take power out of them ....used to be in bedsits where there not enough power sockets. The other is a BC two way adapter ... plug into light fitting ... bulb then goes on end so light works as before, the middle has a BC socket so you can take a power feed off ... Guess you can't buy these in local ironmongers anymore :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I don't see why not. If you overload it, the circuit is protected by a fuse.

Oh look, wire what you like into it:

Gefreiter Krueger

I remember buying them in Wooworths in the 50s.

Reply to
charles

I don't _need_ to - I have some already.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

been illegal to sell since about 1970. Occasionally spotted online though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, quite so. I had a need for one in a boiler house where the only mains available was from a light fitting. I acquired a couple of the BC to lead plug-ins for the next time I was over there. Total waste of time that was, between visits the owners had installed a power socket around the corner, within reach of my extension lead.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon