Old 13A plugs

do prefer modern wiring overall, even if some aspects of it are pointless.

It's a pity Darwinism is now illegal. We're getting the useless people living on and reproducing.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I don't think the mystery is solved. It would be very odd to bring a live conductor out of the plug body like that, even if it was then covered with some sort of insulating material that has now gone. The to end of the fuse holder doesn't really *need* to be rivetted down or fixed in any other way. It's held in place by the moldings of the plug base.

I like the "piece of string" theory best, that it was used to attach it to a two pin plug for a portably appliance. Not completely convinced by that either but more convinvced than by the rivet theory.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On Monday 03 June 2013 13:11 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You da man! :)

I did somethign similar at around age 13. Mains driving into a voltage doubler (diodes + capacitors) feeding the biggest xenon tube Maplin had (not very). All on open veroboard on the dining room table.

Mother was worried but father fully approved.

Reply to
Tim Watts

historic wiring practices.

I'm not worrying about it, so that isnt possible. I just prefer a longer life expectancy

Reply to
meow2222

As for the live wire hypothesis, it makes no sense. There's already an outlet hole for a live wire. So I dont think it can be for a wire.

I don't really buy the string idea either.

  1. String links were used on light sockets, never afaik 13A adaptors, there would be no reason to, and every reason not to.
  2. If a string link were used, the sensible place to put the hole would be the top side of the plug, or perhaps the side, but not the underside.

Its normal for such mouldings to sometimes have a rough surface or 2. The mystery remains imho.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

historic wiring practices.

expectancy

It doesn't reduce your life like cigarettes. It's an exceedingly small risk of ending it. If you're not worried, you'd ignore it.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

ote:

ic in those days so I guess it went underground somewhere.

g down the cabin lights.

I just thought of the reason. It was so you could look in and see if the earth wire was present/ attached without removing the cover.

Reply to
harry

ote:

ic in those days so I guess it went underground somewhere.

They were all metal and usually lead.

Reply to
harry

historic wiring practices.

expectancy

ending it. If you're not worried, you'd ignore it.

There was a commonly held theory that you became immune to electric shocks. I don't buy that personally, but what is true is that people working on live equipment take precautions so that if they do receive a shock the current won't go through their chest.

Reply to
Graham.

those days so I guess it went underground somewhere.

Ah, the paranoia hole.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

historic wiring practices.

life expectancy

of ending it. If you're not worried, you'd ignore it.

The human body gets used to a lot of things, so it's possible I suppose.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Are you sure what you are calling an access hole to the earth is not just a slot for a locating pin in the cover part of which has now broken off ?

Reply to
fred

or, in this house, built 1911, mild steel.

Reply to
charles

No, I've seen lots of plugs like that. There is a definite hole.

Probably have one or two lying around.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Same with 5 & 15A roundpin, possiblt 2A, not sure. I have found a second one, different make.

Graham.

of ending it. If you're not worried, you'd ignore it.

I've got better things to do, youre brainless

Reply to
meow2222

I'm pretty convinced there was a rivet, although it is strange that the only captive part was that half of the fuse holder.

I must say though, that the groove is odd. Yes the head of the rivet needs to be countersunk, but why a groove, and why extend it right to the edge? I don't know if it was filled with a compound, but as it is now, anyone handling the plug with with hands runs an increased risk of gravity and/or capillary action putting you in contact with a live rivet or pin.

Reply to
Graham.

of ending it. If you're not worried, you'd ignore it.

And youre (sic) a pansy.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Don't you just love 'tinternet

(Although not the purpose of the picture) Does figure 8 on this page

Illustrate the fuse holder retention "rivet". Although from this picture there is now way of knowing if the "rivet" is metallic or otherwise.

Reply to
news

I have a recollection of there being a metal rivet covered by a piece of fibreboard pressed into the hole on older MK plugs - when I'm next in the workshop I'll look at my box of ancient bits and see if there's one to confirm this. Some of the other fittings I remember (e.g. the old switches made of porcelain with a screw on brass cover) had what looked like just a bit of melted pitch covering live rivets or screws - a possible problem if the thing gets too hot...

Reply to
docholliday93