Oil boiler recommendations

I've just had my 14year old Myson boiler serviced and discovered there is a slight water leak from the jacket. then engineer says I will need a new boiler.

The boiler is currently in the kitchen with a direct flue up through the ceiling/loft and it is a 3bed bungalow with kitchen and shower room - no bath. If it has to be replaced I'd like to have the replacement sited in the garage which is unheated.

Which boiler makes are recommended? any I should avoid?

Would it be possible to have a wall flue in the garage?

Can I still keep the hot water tank with its immersion heater as backup h/w supply should the boiler ever fail?

any other issues I should be aware of?

I don't intend doing the work myself but would like a bit more knowledge of what to ask when getting quotes.

thanks

JW

Reply to
abc

That's not a problem, two stage frost stat to protect the boiler from freezing. First stage just turns on the pump to circulate (relatively) warm water from the house through the boiler, second stage to actually fire the boiler if it gets *really* cold. The first stat would be in or near the boiler housing, the second would be in the house to protect it from freezing.

Yes, but bear in mind that the exhaust from an oil boiler is rather smelly.

Yes, but how far or by how much will this require the existing pipe work to be modified?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Having just locked the price of oil, consider a bloddy big imnmersion heater instead!

Oil boilers are simple beasts, Ive got a 13Kw Camray, which does what it says on the tin.

Ah..yes definitely. The nice thing abut a garage is you can use s 'boilerhouse' boiler which is simply a normal boiler 'in the nude' and hence a tad cheaper.. Do build a bit of insulation round it tho, and have a frost stat IN the boilerhouse to fire it up if tts toes get too chilly.

yup. Though I would tend towards a pressurised tank.

Boiler should be around £6-700 IIRC. ist a couple of days work to swap one out, a bit more if you need to move it. No more tha £500 to install. Also consider teh oil pipe runs and where the hot pipework needs to run

- that needs lagging to avoid spilling heat into the garage, although that might be a neat idea if you make it a utility room with a drying rack for washing etc. We have a room like that: the boiler keeps the room warm and the clothes dry in there bootiful, and there are wood racks over the boiler itself to air them.

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd give a vote for the Camray too if they are still available. After digging through some old notebooks I find I fitted mine in 1989 - had to have the blast tube replaced this year and some gentle tweaks so maintenance costs have been some =A3200 over 18 years.

The cost of oil however has made me read the thread here on electrical CH boilers with interest - my present set up has a log burner running in parallel with the oil burner with some electronic controls so it may well be that this summer logging will have to be a more committed activity! But the figures quoted make a thermal store with electrical heating as well look an interesting option.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

A lot depends on whether enough people soak up off peak electricity enough to make it suddenly more expensive. Or simply flatten the grid and power station network.

We need another 30 nuclear power stations yesterday..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher