Off topic: video about BBC bias

Why should anyone be surprised though, they regularly go out and buy newspapers which ooze bias. In fact it would probably be hard to get rid of all bias, as humans are biased by their upbringing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think the thing is that in the UK the TV media are "supposed" by regulation to be impartial (FSVO impartial). I agree that the printed page does not have the same impartiality obligations but I understand that the USA TV has no impartiality obligations either - having seen some USA TV that would be a very bad road to go down IMO.

You select your news channel according to your own bias (right or left) and have it repeatedly confirmed and endorsed. You never get to hear a contrary point of view.

Reply to
news

Stating the obvious here, there is no such thing as impartiality in politic s. Whatever your pov, unless it aligns with the bbc's they will appear bias ed - and inevitably they are. Imho they are so far from getting real as to be of limited value. Its only in the uk that sheeple believe the line about the beeb being unbiased.

And again stating the obvious, if they didnt broadly support the government , successive governments would not want to continue funding them. So for th eir own survival, while they criticise, they must ultimately support the go vernment we have overall.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

...and yet the most frequent criticism of the BBC is that they're left- leaning...

Personally, I tend to fall with the "If both sides complain about them, they must be about right" theory.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry. I didn't realise they'd gone down since then. Must be a union man.

Have you only just cottoned on to Today having an in depth interview pretty every day?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That video appears to be 30 mins of slowly scrolling text. wtf?

If you are interested in the right wing bias of the BBC there is a story that has been knocking around a few months about a Panorama program about Syria which looks very rum indeed. Here:

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

Maybe, maybe not.

Back when I bought a daily paper I read the Telegraph - because I strongly disagreed with its politics & that caused me to take a critical approach to what I read.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

bbc's they will appear biased

That's the point, they are not allowed to be biased. It's against the charter. Can you do something about your line length? It snarls up my reader.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

yes...

Or both wrong. Both main parties play the same game.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And now you have matured, you find yourself only slightly disagreeing...

Reply to
Richard

which is of course impossible, making the charter just puff.

I dont think there are any settings on GGs. Each time they rewrite it it still doesnt work right.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Also because more of the news is agency sourced, you get their bias as well. I think we have been 'told' its unbiased, but its nothing of the kind. Just reporting one thing and not another, ie choosing the priority, is bias and you cannot cover everything after all. Even world service news is biased differently to that consumed in the uk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On the other hand, the interviewing technique of the presenters on LBC (especially Nick Ferrari) is to challenge what is being said almost before the person speaking has even got the first three words out of their mouth. Unfortunately, you are then left with no idea what they were really trying to say.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Now i can look at it I am shocked at what utter s**te it is.

Shite as a video - why would I watch slow scrolling text for 30 mins when I could read it in 10?

Shite content - a lot of old quotes from the Daily Mail about how people who work in the BBC don't read the Daily Mail and other inanities.

Shite politics - since the BBC failed to stand up to the govt over the sexed up dossier it has made itself into Westminster's mouthpiece. We need a lot more dissent from it and a lot more questioning of the neo con politics which is becoming mainstream. Issues like war, torture, inequality, poverty. Issues entirely missing from your Daily Mail bleating.

Enough

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

That's sadly all to common these days with live interviews. Made worse on TV if the guest is not in the same studio and there's a delay on the line

- as there always seems to be, even within the UK. Newsnight being one of the worst offenders I watch. Recorded interviews are not like this on Newsnight, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)