Off topic but wanted windows 98 disk

Page 1 of 2
I know this is slightly off topic, I was wondering if any one has an old windows 98 cd, I would gladly pay for it plus postage.
Regards Richard.
Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Richard wrote:

Try ebay. There's usually plenty on offer there.
--
Paul

Thankyou Paul

Do you have FTP to download the disk ?
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

If you just need the files and can copy them to the HD for practicality using something like a boot floppy, then you`re looking at ~121Mb of data.
Sadly, the patches come to 156Mb according to my little backup directory :-p
(that might include win98 as well as 98se though, but I doubt many are duplicated - this will include IE6.x and updates, and DirectX 9b)

I heard that uS were withdrawing support for 98, 98SE and Millennium in January - better get your updates in quick.
Is there any way of saving updates to file ?
--
geoff

If you find the right MS web page (typically for administrators) they are downloadable in most cases.
However they do intend you to use the automatic update stuff so it can take some hunting.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Someone in the office mentioned www.bootfiles.com (I think - not being a Windows user I wasn't paying much attention) where boot images of all MS "operating systems" are downloadable.
writes

Good for cowboys and indians, but not for what you mention above. I think you must have slightly misheard the URL
--
geoff

Attention please, "Huge" has committed a cardinal sin
I'll tell you why, "Huge" wrote: (in another post about "Spammed by Screwfix")

Yet he has just replied to a post in this thread in the exact same manner.
For this very sin he gave me a *plonk* rating so he won't be able to read this anyway will he!
Revenge is sweet.
(Sorry to go off subject, but I just had to do that)
Mike P.
On 15 Dec 2003, geoff wrote

Fred Langa talked about this in his recent LangaList newsletter, and gave a link to an article he wrote about how to do it:
---------quote start-----------
I have an entire feature-length article in the works for you that will go over recommended end-of-the year update/cleanup/tune-ups for ALL versions of Windows, but if you're one of the millions of users still running Win98, you might want to get a jump on things by grabbing *and storing* copies of all relevant Windows Update items so you'll have them on hand even when Win98 support dries up.
It's easy, and the basic process--- for any Windows version (not just Win98) was discussed in "How To Save Your Win98 (And Other) Updates Offline" in http://langa.com/sendit.htm/newsletters/2003/2003-03 - 20.htm#2 .
You can use Windows Update to see what's already installed on your system ("View Installation History"); and then use the info from the link above to grab a fresh, stand-alone copy of the update item(s) that you want to save locally, so you can reinstall them any time you want, right from your own hard drive. (Or CD, or whatever.)
That process works for ANY version of Windows, by the way: You really never have to download any patch or update more than once. By grabbing it once, by the above method, you can install it any number of times from your local copy without ever having to download the same code again.
---------end quote----------
Langa's free newsletter is well worth subscribing to for this sort of hint/discussion. (He's also got a paid-for "plus" version which I don't get -- it's always sounded like "probably very good value", though.)
Hope this helps.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Cheers for that
--
geoff

writes

The link should be: http://langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-03-20.htm
Andrew
Harvey Van Sickle ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) wrote: : On 15 Dec 2003, geoff wrote
[...]
: For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
-- ______________________________________________________________ Ian Harvey, CLRC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, Cheshire, Telephone: +44 (0)1925 603794 WA4 4AD, Fax: +44 (0)1925 603124 U.K. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@dl.ac.uk ______________________________________________________________
writes

old
I think zdnet are keeping the updates going for a while longer, but don't quote me on that. There is also the download centre on the MS website itself that will keep the files stored individually for a few years more I would think. The Windows 98 original version is still very popular all over the world, so to withdraw the updates to this software would kill the MS company because no-one is going to rush out and pay the kind of money their asking for newer versions of Windows.

You can still access the updates for Win95 on the MS site.
According to:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh ;EN-US;w98>
Re Win98
'Microsoft will also continue to offer a variety of self-help resources on the Product Support Services Web site until at least January 16, 2006'
--
Chris French, Leeds

In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 ended on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident until January 16, 2004. Support will also be available from some third party providers.
--
geoff

writes

Yes, but in case anyone misunderstands, the quote from Geoff refers to direct '1-1' support from Microsoft - say on the phone.
I was just referring to the availability of download patches etc.
--
Chris French, Leeds

geoff wrote:

It's usually a tucked away option with a name like 'network install' or 'administrator install'.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /