Objecting to planning application

Looks like if my neighbours huge extension plans go ahead I am going to lose a lot of light from the top of my garden and patio.
Any advice on how to object?
Adrian
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:36:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@a.com (Adrian Sims) wrote:

Talk to your local planning officer ... also to any other neighbours who may be affected. Have you tried a friendly chat w/ your neighbour -- always possible that he/she/they don't realize the impact of their plan, and would be willing to change to accommodate ...
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
no spam wrote:

Yes they can build - they just take the risk that PP may not be forthcoming.
--
Take out the garbage to reply

Regards

ISTR something on uk.legal about this, and if you have had unimpeded light from the window for x number of years different rules can come into play...

I thought it had something to do with killing light to the garden and killing plants as well, but I might be wrong.
BigWallop wrote

The facts about rights to light are spelled out on the RICS website: http://www.rics.org/public/rights_to_light /
Peter
David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote in message

If so, I'm surprised. But either way I'm sure the planners still need to nail a prominent notice to the nearest lamp-post to let everyone know about a pending application.
By the way if your local council is as 'wired' as ours, you may well find that like ours, all planning applications (and their results) are published weekly on their website.
And if you do intend to object I'm sure your neighbours would welcome a word before they actually put in the application; they may prefer to try and address your concerns before they apply, and then risk having it rejected if you complain later. (Why people put in planning applications without even having a chat with their neighbours about it first is beyond me... IMHO there a few things more likely to evoke a negative reaction to a potentially contraversial new build, or whatever, next door, than finding out about it from the council!)
David
Make sure they have followed the proper process - e.g. putting up notices etc. If they have not or the declarations contained in the application are wrong it may get thrown out on a procedural technicality.
Make sure you write and object ... but be aware that the applicant may be able to see any objections.
Thanks
Harry