O/T(ish) Lidl outdoor sockets

Lidl are selling a pair of remote control outdoor sockets splashproof to IP44 with front flaps.

However these seem to be just a plug (13 amp 3 pin) on one side and a socket (13 amp 3 pin) on the other with a flap. Instructions skimmed - the flap is for 'child safety'. Talk of plugging into extension leads.

As far as I can see they aren't going to add much to a non-IP44 socket (such as an extension lead) when plugged in externally to the house.

Possibly they are suitable for plugging into an external IP44 socket to add remote control without downgrading the socket?

I am now (as usual) slightly confused and wondering how exactly these sockets should be deployed.

Haven't bought any, but could be persuaded if there aren't any 'gotchas'.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

on 23/06/2010, David WE Roberts supposed :

I can't find them, however - Are they not intended to go straight from an indoor socket to provide a fixed on the outside wall outdoor socket, possibly with the cable run through a hole through the wall? Are they combined with an RCD?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I can't see them on their site either, but it sounds like they're just an easy way to add remote control to an existing outside socket. FWIW, I've bought Lidl indoor remote socket/adaptor a while ago and they have been excellent. 100% reliable and less than half the price of similar B&Q model which were rubbish.

Reply to
Simon C.

Better than Asda? =A35 for three RF remote control sockets and four channel remote. Sockets can be set up to be switched individually or as group(s) of how ever many sockets you desire. The snag is that if a socket loses power for more than a few tens of seconds it forgets which channel of the remote it is supposed to work with thus a power cut destroys any neat grouping that has been setup. When power comes back they all enter "programming mode" and will all sync to first "on" button that is pressed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"However these seem to be just a plug (13 amp 3 pin) on one side and a socket (13 amp 3 pin) on the other with a flap."

They are just a remote control 13 amp socket which plugs into an existing 13 amp socket - similar to the RCDs you can buy to plug into your indoor socket before connecting outdoor equipment on an extensionlead.

I expected something which gave me an IP44 rated external power socket (without having to already have an IP44 power socket to plug it into).

Hence the confusion.

I can see them at

as though they are 'remote control sockets suitable for outdoor use when plugged into an outdoor socket'. If so, the description could have been a lot clearer.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That is a good deal. The Lidl were £15 for 4 sockets, 2 on/off rated

3KW, and 2 dimmable 350W. The remote has 1 to 4, and all on/off.

The Lidl ones keep their memory for 5 mins iirc, which doesn't help sometimes with the OH who has a thing about turning EVERY socket off at night. Still... they are 100% reliable as I say, which the BQ ones definitely were not.

Reply to
Simon C.

I once bought some with one button per channel, which cycled it on/off

- never again! They are fine if you can see the device it controls and tell whether you have turned it on or off, but not for something out of site, maybe in a different room.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield