?O/T House purchase - sellers leaving junk

Butter and cream are forms of milk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I apologise. I hadn't appreciated that the meaning of "Just leave it out" had changed to "use something else". It's very difficult to keep up with these changes these days.

BTW have you informed the OED yet?

Reply to
John Cartmell

No need to inform anybody. The comment that I made was correct, as far as it went. It is possible to make scrambled egg with milk left out. That is point number one.

Point number two, made separately, was that butter, and indeed a number of other fats/oils can be used.

It isn't correct either to talk about these as milk substitutes. That would presuppose that milk is the defacto and primary fat product to be used for the making of scrambled eggs.

In fact it is the poorest of all of them in terms of the result of the final product and used only by those who don't know how to do the job properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Olive oil is not, though.

Moreover, the results of using any of these, as long as the preparation is done properly are far superior to anything involving liquid milk.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Taste is a personal thing. No one recipe is better than another.

For example I hate porridge made with cream. I prefer it made just with fine ground oatmeal and water, and some semi-skimmed milk added afterwards with a little salt. Most I see add nasties like jam. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh yuk.

I always thought that it was a cardinal sin in Scotland to make porridge with anything other than salt, oatmeal and water - no milk at all. Isn't it made as a batch and kept in a wooden drawer as well?

Reply to
Andy Hall

My mother left it to soak overnight, but it was always made fresh. And even when it was near the only food available for some, milk would have been used as most crofts kept a cow, sheep or goats.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Half milk, half water in this house. But that might be soft southern habits :-)

Only for bejants

Owain

Reply to
Owain