?O/T House purchase - sellers leaving junk

In message , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

Wandered into the local nick and handed them over the counter! Gave a quick explanation and the guy on the desk agreed to find them a good home, no paper work, no follow up at all. Probably be a bit different now.

Reply to
Bill

From Hastings? Must have used her broomstick. It was there the day after she left when I took possession. Luckily, next door took it on - I already had a cat. And despite only moving a few hundred yards as the crow files my cat stayed put in the new place despite doors being open all the time while renovations were carried out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

So not all bad then.

The one I really detest, even more than light bulbs and even light fittings is the bog roll. That's just cruel.

Last place we left we left a tray with an old electric kettle, some tea bags, half a jar of coffee a square cow and sugar and a teaspoon. And a full bog roll.

Reply to
Guy King

Had a similar experience a few years ago. The sellers family were surposed to clear the house as it was sold with vacant possession. They took what they wanted and left the crap behind. My solicitor negotiated a =A3500 reduction on the agreed price to clear the junk as they had already exchanged with vacant possesssion agreed. Probably cost me about that with time and skips. I thought one skip would have been enough but its surprising how much junk is in a three bed semi! regards legin

Reply to
legin

No-one was moving into ours as we hadn't sold it at that point. But I did leave a ring binder with plastic sleeves containing instructions for everything, a diagram on how to find the water stop tap, where to find some obscure phone sockets, etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A square cow??!!?

Actually, we make a point of leaving a tactical bottle of plonk on the mantlepiece along with a sacharine-sweet note. If it engenders even a slightly warm fuzzy feeling in the recipients, then job done - if there turns out to be some issue or other after moving-in day, I reckon the buyer is more likely to try and put the boot in to those tight-fisted, mean-spirited bastards who took all the lightbulbs and bog roll, rather than that charming couple who left us the wine...

David

Reply to
Lobster

We keep such records too, for whoever follows us.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So why didn't your daughter ask the solicitor to contact the sellers and ask them whether the sale was with or without the furniture contents?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writed in news:R245g.61902$wl.13256 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Thanks for all the words of wisdom - we'll see how things progress next Friday .

My words of advice for the assembled multitude is - avoid the on-line conveyancing fixed quote crowd as they only seem interested in the basic job of shuffling paper and don't seem to want to know when 'interesting questions' get asked!

Reply to
Mike the Unshavable

Lobster typed

Cuboidal carton of UHT milk, m'lud.

Previous occupants here left all the lightbulbs plus a few spares, new loo rolls by both toilets and a bottle of wine.

Guy helped me move...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Still worth leaving a few neccessities.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Lobster contains these words:

Brick of UHT milk. It's what they're called in our house.

Reply to
Guy King

The milk would have gone off after 10 months. We left lightbulbs and loo rolls anyway, since we popped back occasionally to check. When we eventually sold, we did leave wine and 'plastic glasses'. We're still on good terms with the buyers; they live just round the corner in their 'next' house!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I took the advice of a colleague at work, and used a solicitor just around the corner from the office. It was very handy to be able to pop in as and when needed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes - take the disposal costs out of Perry Mason's fee.

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Square cows have a shelf life about 6 months according to the date codes, but in practice it's many times that.

Reply to
Guy King

UHT lasts forever because nobody will drink it.

"Now Father McGuire you'll have to deliver the milk quick because it goes off, except UHT of course, but nobody drinks that because it's s**te."

Reply to
Steve Firth

My assumption was that one would know when the new owners were arriving (usually later the same day) and would leave a FRESH square cow. Yes, UHT is s**te.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

I rarely use milk for anything, so it doesn't bother me.

Reply to
Guy King

The same happened to me. The estate agent sorted us out a skip at the previous owner's expense. They did leave a couple of good bits in compensation for the hassle of removing their old huge furniture (a pretty new cooker and a nice marble top table). They had a massive decrepit sofa that was not getting out easily, as they'd replaced the sash windows with manky uPVC with no large openers. I had to take it apart with a circular saw.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle