O ring grooves

Hi all,

In hydraulic pumps and the like, you typically find o ring seals sitting in little grooves around a cylinder to prevent liquid leaks. Question is, are these grooves semi-circular or square in section? - if the o ring to go in it is circular section, that is.

cheers

Reply to
orion.osiris

Yes.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Huge

They are normally rectangular (with a defined corner radius because you can never machine a perfectly square corner). Since rubber is incompressible (i.e. the total volume does not change when it is compressed, it squidges out somewhere else) you need to have room for any displaced material.

On flat flanges you sometimes have a "dovetail" groove to stop the ring from falling out (not a problem with grooves on a piston or a cylinder).

All the information you could possibly want is in here

newshound

Square, with radiused corners

Reply to
The Other Mike

Aha! Thanks, chaps. :)

Reply to
orion.osiris

Actually on reading the notes Newshound kindly pointed me to, I found this:

"The shape of the seal groove is unimportant as long as it results in proper compression of the seal between the bottom of the groove and the cylinder wall, and provides room for the compressed material to fl ow so that the seal is not solidly confined between metal surfaces."

Which makes life a bit easier! :)

Reply to
orion.osiris