Novel soldering technique

I had to laugh:

That ain't gonna work ;-)

(even if you ignore the cap in the space silk screened for Q1!)

Reply to
John Rumm

But the very idea of using a gas flame type iron on a PCB fills me with horror. Perhaps for an emergency repair in the field - but to build a project as in that pic?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought soldering to the top of the board rather than the underneath was the worse error. We use a hot air gun to solder and desolder some things but never a flame.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It looks similar to a gas-powered iron I had as a field engineer years ago: the flame heated some sort of catalyst behind the tip, so no flame gets near the work. You still needed to be careful with it- only good for emergency use (and for shrinking heatshrink).

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The heat should shrink the plastic sleeve out the way, and melt what remains. The iron likely has enough grunt to solder to the cap's case, which is connected to -ve, so it should work... for some odd value of work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've used something similar for field repairs to RC model planes etc, many years ago.

It's pretty handy for car work too - solder is in many ways better than crimps if its mechanically supported.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hardly. It appears to be a single sided board. The heat would need to transfer from the case of the cap to the lead - and you'd still not get the multicore near the work. Then you have the problem of the positive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Corr, you must have good vision to have spotted that lettering!

Reply to
pamela

Na, I have a zoom function ;-)

John Rumm

You've completely misunderstood.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suppose it's covered by "Images are for illustrative purposes only", although how that works as a disclaimer has always escaped me.

Reply to
Graham.

I just hold the Control key down and scroll the mouse button. Everything zooms.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good to know it meets the relevant US child standard. The photographer has some way to go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me too then... no amount of soldering to the case is going to move the tracks on the PCB to that side!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup that works, but zooms everything...

I find that for looking at an image closely, right clicking and doing a "view image" to open it in a new tab by itself, and then zooming that works well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unfortunately that image doesn't have enough resolution.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Are you viewing it on a phone? The Q1 legend is clearly visible here without zooming or whatever. Just above C11.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, the gas burns without a flame. The catalyst lowers the reaction temperature to below the ignition temperature, or something roughly like that.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I've read Mr Purr's comment again and still don't get it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That PCB seems to be from a 30 Watt stereo amplifier assembly kit.

Someone has been studying that aforementioned Ladybird book ... it looks nice!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz