Novel soldering technique

But it says "Electronic instant ignition system".

Reply to
Mike Clarke

And how to stab an antique PC motherboard with a screwdriver:

(with unusual green heatsink)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The real failure is not having a pretty girl, in a white coat and safety glasses, holding the torch.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

With the catalytic heads, you turn on the gas and then fire the igniter. It lights with a flame which burns for a few seconds to heat the catalyst and then goes out (or you blow it out). The catalyst then glows red and produces lots of heat, but there no flame any more.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not using the flame here, that one has a conventional bit heated by the flame.

I have a flame-only torch with that configuration, and a pen-type one with "bits". I think I have used the latter once for soldering on a car, when I didn't readily have a power supply to hand for a conventional soldering iron. I regularly use the flame one on heat shrink though, e.g. after crimping.

Reply to
newshound

That, and how did they get a TO220 into a TO92 set of holes and soldering the wrong side of the PCB - who ever is it who creates this stuff

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :

Perfectly clear on my laptop's screen..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you look for it - but I have to confess I don't spend a lot of time looking at the legend on circuit boards shown in soldering iron ads. Maybe I should? :-)

Reply to
pamela

I suggest visiting the Lidl website, which regularly features glamourous people holding drills at funny angles against random objects.

Reply to
Dave W

How did you match that image? I tried Google Images and Tineye without a result.

Reply to
Graham.

It was that which made me look more closely at the other component postions!

Reply to
John Rumm

lol, I spend a lot of time looking at legends....

"EL-0293-3"

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

The iron is being held against the case. There's no possibility that could ever solder the leads, you'd have to destroy the cap to ever get the leads hot enough that way. But you could possibly solder a wire to the case of th e cap where the iron bit is. Why you'd do so is another question... but it' s physically possible.

Actually I think I did do that once, in my early years. Parts cost real mon ey then, and one had a lead snapped completely off.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember a review of a tower-case server in a PC mag yonks ago. The article featured a glamorous young lady with spectacles, lab coat, clipboard and pencil pressed to her lips, with the tag line "IT'S SO BIG!".

I would say you don't get stuff like that any more, but there are the occasional gems to be found in back pages of classic car magazines.

Reply to
Halmyre

Of course. Yes, you're both right (Sid & John). I remember now.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ah the days when people didn't pretend sex didn't exist in the middle calsses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought gas powered irons for electronic use used catalysts, not flames. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If they are good for heatshrink means they must have a blast of hot air coming out the sides, etc.

Not something I want when soldering a PCB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That ain't gonna work ;-)

I think we understood that you could solder to the can. The question was what use that was going to be with the PCB tracks on the other side of the board?

(or are you suggesting you solder a wire to the can, route that to the obverse, and then solder to a track?)

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't suggest doing any of it. Just pointing out that in theory one can solder that way.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr