Non standard construction

I'm think about having a look at a house of non standard construction, it's not any of the non standard types I know...

anyone know what it is, and what problems it might cause me, I'm fairly sure it's ex local authority but I've driven past and the village seems quite nice. Thanks.

Reply to
Allen

In message , Allen writes

The chimneys are rendered. Perhaps it is just external insulation over the original structure.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The full EPC refers to it as timber-frame, which'd rule the usual steel- frame corrosion or concrete cancer right out, anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Isn't the warning sign "Cash Buyers Only"?

It probably means that it would be difficult to get a mortgage on it. Possibly not a problem if you have cash to buy it but it may be difficult to sell if you move on.

It's also worth asking the owners what is their building insurance premium as it may also give a clue for ongoing costs.

Reply to
alan_m

Not easy to see, but it looks to me as if the outer skin is just vertical shiplap paneling or similar. So, probably timber construction throughout, coated in centuries worth of tar. Get it surveyed. Look for rot, particularly at ground level. Also, highly combustible; fire insurance may be expensive, even if you can get it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In article , Allen writes

Looks like a 'Swedish House'; wooden construction. A lot of them in country areas and IIRC the old LCC estate in Burnt Oak-Edgware has hundreds of them. They seem to be still standing after 30 odd years so must be reasonably well made.

Reply to
Chris Holford

It can't be that hard - there are quite a lot of timber clad and timber framed buildings in Kent and East Sussex - some are even new-ish.

But I agree that go in with eyes open is wise, but no need to panic just yet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's a rather fancy garden shed!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You may know the area already but just in case you are not familiar with it Netheravon has an airfield where they do a lot of parachute training so there are often small aircraft droning around. The noise isn't in the realm of the flight path to Heathrow but sometimes the buzz of small aircraft can be equally annoying. And the Army are often making a racket with Artillery practice on Salisbury plain. yes the area and around it is fairly nice but it might not be quite as peaceful as living in a country village could be.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Reply to
Adrian

The sort of place you could demolish and build something better. Look at the area/other buildings nearby. Especially if the site/garden is large.

It's cheap enough. (Even suspiciously so). Look for the catch, there must be one nearby if not the building itself. It may (not) be something you can get round

If it's timber frame you can bet there'll be rot in it somewhere, the rot proofing back then was just creosote. Bits out of sight couldn't be redone so tended to deteriorate. Notably the bit of wood resting on the brick base. Also adjacent to chimneys. Burns well too.

Could be a good opportunity/DIY project with a lot of money to be made. ALL DEPENDS ON LOCALITY.

The advantage of demolishing a place is that all the services are already there. Big money saving. Also consider two (or more houses) on the site.

DON'T buy if chavs live nearby. Pick neighbour's brains/find out what they're like.

Reply to
harry

Being a semi, that could be problematical.

Reply to
Richard

/Being a semi, that could be problematical. /Q

:-D

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

:-)

Reply to
ARW

Hmm, if it was built a while back some wooden frames had asbestos in the walls so one needs to be a bit careful.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In message , Chris Holford writes

3 built here. Early 1950's. Gift from the people of Sweden and constructed as part of a London overspill council housing project.

Now in private ownership they have been clad in brick. Notable for their steep roof pitch.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No

the warning sign is already stated: "Non standard construction"

this means that it is generally un-mortgagable and will thus be cash buyers only

This will affect its value both now, and in the future. Probably to the order of 30% below value of an equivalent mortgagable house (accordingly NSCs make excellent BTL investments)

But it doesn't, of itself, mean anything else. The house could be perfectly sound in every respect, or it could be a tumbledown

Some NSCs can be "corrected" and made up to full value, some cannot (except by knocking down and starting again, of course)

Reply to
tim.....

Are SIP built houses considered non-standard these days?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The true test will be to arrange a provisional mortgage and get some insurance quotes...

Reply to
Tim Watts

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribbled

Not to mention the hundreds of pissed up squaddies living in the area.

Reply to
Jonno