Noisy CH

I have had a new pump added recently and since then the CH system 'ticks' when the pump is on. It sounds like what I would expect from expanding pipes but stops quite quickly (seconds) if you switch off the pump by turning down the thermostat. The source of the noise does appear to be in the hot water cylinder but it is difficult to locate. The pump is located in the airing cupboard with the cylinder and the 3 way valve.

Reply to
Mark Eastaugh

When you say "added" do you mean that this is an additional pump rather than a replacement for the previous one? If so, what is its function?

Does the noise continue all the time the pump is running - even when everything is fully warmed up?

Were any pipes disturbed when this pump was fitted - so that they could now be rubbing or pressing against something where they weren't previously?

Reply to
Set Square

Our central heating makes a heck of a racket, lots of pinging and ticking. The pipes run under the stripped floor under our bed and never fail to wake us in the morning with a cacophony of loud ticking. Is the general opinion that heating pipes make noise or am I likely to find that where they have been channelled through beams they are tight and so the noise I am hearing is the copper pipe moving against the wood? Any suggestions for a quick fix?

TIA

DavidD
1) make the places the pipes rub less tight 2) Wrap some insulation or cloth round the pipes where they rub.

Reply to
Rick Dipper