Noisy CH pipes

Can a 2 year old pump be so out of balance so to cause so much noise? My pipes are vibrating and the noise is getting louder week on week. I'm guessing some form of foam or rubber should have been placed between joits and pipes to surpress any banding, but this sounds like a hammer drill.

What are my options? System is a very old Wicks boiler to be changed this year, the rest is all new pipes, immersion tank, pump and rads

TIA

Reply to
Vass

A blade might break off the pump impeller, and/or some solid debris might get into the pump. A friend eventually took the pump off his system when trying to work out why the heating wasn't working, and found there were no impeller blades left on the pump! He never found them -- presumed to have disintegrated over time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have you got TRVs? Are you sure it's not them knocking? They do so when incorrectly fitted.

Just a thought,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

incorrectly fitted? They all have arrows on them pointing in both directions and they were bought because they can be fitted to either the flow or return end of the rad.? They are fitted to all rooms except on the large rad where the stat is.

Reply to
Vass

Years ago I buggered up a pump by accidentally and stupidly setting it going when the system was drained. It only ran for a couple of seconds, but this was evidently enough to wreck it, and for a couple of weeks afterwards I had to put up with the hammer-drill effect which you're describing. I guess the bearings or something had gone, I never did find out because it drove me so mad that I just changed it. It's an easy job, cost about =A350 as I recall for a new one, money well spent for peace and quiet being restored.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

This means that they are reversible (unlike my original, knocking ones), but, in the case of mine at least, the installer needs to point them towards the right direction by (I think) turning a ring on them.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

kostas fixed it hooray

vass is a wanker

Wow. Major milestone. I helped someone on diy.

I guess it will be a couple of centuries till my next hit.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

how have you helped? mine are different to yours and work in either direction

Reply to
Vass

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what "..." meant.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis