Newteam varispeed 50 noise

Looking for a bit of advice/help -

After a recent plumbing emergency our Varispeed 50 Twin has become noisier. The problem concerned a broken radiator and we had to empty the boiler (long story) by running the hot tap until it ran dry. My worry is that the pump has got damaged by the lack of water running through it.

Prior to this event the pump would be noisy for 10 - 15 seconds when the shower or bath was run but then it'd settled down to a background hum. The noise no longer drops, after the first 10 - 15 seconds, and remains noisy for the duration of the shower/bath.

Can these pumps be serviced? Or am I looking at a new pump :(

btw - the pressure isn't as good as it was before which make me think that the pumps struggling.

Any assistance most appreciated.

Reply to
adrian

More info - it would appear that it's now overheating(!) which trips the thermostatic switch and turns it off

Reply to
adrian

I had a varispeed shower pump that self destructed, sounding very similar to yours!, I have replaced it with a Stuart Turner pump nearly 3 times the price!! but when I fitted it the quality really showed, the Varispeed is really a cheaply made pump....

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Contacted NewTeam. Cos the pump ran dry it's officially buggered so I'll have to get a new one :(

Reply to
adrian

Do you mean the cylinder?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

For the price of these troublesome noisy pumps, you could buy a multi-point water heater for less. If only used for the shower it will never run out of hot water:

Or fit a combi heating the cylinder and only have the shower off the combi waters section.

People should assess alternatives when spending. They will be surprised that a superior alternative is there for no more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , snipped-for-privacy@adriannicholson.orangehome.co.uk writes

New pump. I had a Varispeed 50 which lasted 3 years before doing exactly what you described - initially getting noisier, then cutting out after a few minutes. Eventually it expired completely with a strong smell of burning windings. Complained to Newteam who commented that they would have expected it to last five years.

Replaced with a Salamander.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson