Plumbing noise

Hi.

I have a noise problem with my plumbing and i'm hopeing that someone out there can give me some advice.

My problem is this. Every time I flush the upstairs toilet there is a loud rumbling noise all throughout the house. This doesn't happen if I flush the toilet downstairs.

Anyone know what's going on?

TIA.

DAB.

Reply to
dean.brown503

You've probably got what's known as water hammer. It's something that just happens with a particular set up. I had water hammer after I'd changed a ballcock last month. I pulled and wedged the pipe delivering the water to the ballcock and that cured it. You may have to experiment with this sort of thing - even change the ballcock, maybe.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Is this just whilst it's flushing, or whilst the cistern is refilling?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the noise occurs towards the end of the fill cycle then probably water hammer. Caused by ripples on the surface of the water moving the ballcock/float of the inlet valve up and down and so repeatedly opening and closing valve. Fitting a collapsible tube so that the inlet water enters below the surface of the water will often cure it.

A search on 'water hammer' will give some ideas. Try:

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

You need to chew your food a little more.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

Brilliant. For once the acronym 'LOL' is actually true.

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

Yes. Change the rubber in the inlet valve. Just done my neighbours as he wouldn't and the noise was maddening.

The inlet nozzle makes a depression in the rubber and it becomes like the reed in a musical instrument. Rather like a low foghorn in the morning hours and goes on forever. :)

Reply to
EricP

Although this may be the problem in one case it may not be in another. When I changed my ballvalve for a new one it was then that I got the waterhammer, not previously.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham