New SDS Drill

I'm looking to buy a new SDS drill, I've been through my usual 'buy a cheap one and see how much I use it' phase and the cheap JCB unit lasted 18months and has now bitten the dust.

I'm looking to spend about the £100 mark and have been looking at the Makita HR2450X and the Hitachi DH24PC3 both of which are available from Lawson at about this price

I'm leaning towards the Makita but thought it worth asking if anyone has any advice or other recommendations.

Thanks

Perry

Reply to
Perry (News)

In article , Perry (News) scribeth thus

Thats the one:))

Best tool I've ever bought!...

Reply to
tony sayer

These are both good choices. Have a look also at Bosch GBH2-23RE as well.

I've also used a Metabo and that's a nice product as well. Their first one is KHE-24SP.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Screwfix are doing a DeWalt offer of an SDS drill and a drill/driver for £99. Well worth considering at that price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:03:20 +0100, tony sayer waxed lyrical about:

Thanks for the confirmation - I like the Makita saw that I've got and I know that they've got a good reputation.

By the way, I've noticed that they also do a 2450T version, the main difference (that I can see) seems to be a 'quick change keyless chuck', but the 2450X comes with an additional keyless chuck for standard drill bits anyway

Any idea what the 'quick change keyless chuck' is? It must be something special if it's bumping the cost up by over £20

Perry

Reply to
Perry (News)

Second that, awesome bit of kit!

Yup, pretty high on the smileometer when in use.

One is an add on chuck that goes in the end of the normal SDS one. The other is a replacement for the SDS one, keeping the drill length down and providing better centralisation of non SDS bits.

Personally I don't find the need to use it for non SDS tasks often enough to make it worth it for me, but that will depend a little on what other drills you have.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Perry (News) scribeth thus

The chucks, SDS and normal are very quick change and the keyless chuck is excellent too!, it just .. well works!..

Reply to
tony sayer

When I bought mine that was in the package but if its an extra 20 quid well worth it all the same!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks to all for the advice, I've just ordered the Makita HR2450X, I couldn't justify the extra £27 (inc VAT) for the 2450T version as I'm not sure how useful the quick change chuck would be - although now I've placed the order I find myself wondering if I'm going to regret not going for it :-)

Thanks again

Perry

Reply to
Perry (News)

You can always buy an add on chuck later if you need it. Not quite as nice as the quick change one, but will don the few conventional drilling jobs you need usually.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:32:58 +0100, John Rumm waxed lyrical about:

The 2450X comes with the standard add-on chuck for non-sds bits, that's why I couldn't justify spending the extra for the version with the quick change chuck - still wonder if I'll regret it though!

Perry

Reply to
Perry (News)

I doubt it unless that is your only drill. I use mine for chiselling (usually chasing and cutting out holes for back boxes etc), drilling hard masonry, and the occasional core drilling job. For anything else I tend to use a cordless since it is smaller, lighter, and more flexible.

Reply to
John Rumm

It really depends on what other drills you have.

I have the 4kg Bosch Multidrill which comes with an SDS chuck and a conventional chuck. They can be interchanged.

Below this, I have an 18v makita cordless drill driver, an 18v Makita impact driver and then 14.4 and 12v cordless below these.

As a result, the conventional chuck on the SDS doesn't get used very much. It probably still wouldn't be used much if I only had the Makita 14.4v drill.

If I only had a small 4.8v cordless driver, I would probably use the conventional chuck in the SDS drill

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have a look at the Wickes Professional range - rebadged Kress. I have had one for a number of years and have no problems. Roto stop and clutch but it is only 2kg although because of this it is just useable one handed. As an aside it is serviced by Draper in this country and when the cabe failed (because of the tight fit into the case I deelivered it to their Chandles Ford HQ & it was couriered back to me 3 days later with no charge.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I've got the Wickes one and I agree its an excellent piece of kit, but its now nearly £100, so if I were buying now I'd probably go for the Makita.

When I bought mine it was around £80 and the Makita was around £120.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have one and reckon it is better than the Makita.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel