New Planning Rules

Hi All I've just found out from a mate that there are a mass of changes in Planning and Building Regs after 1st Oct 2008. For example, paving over the front garden, putting in a new driveway.

worries me is that I was totally unaware about these changes until last night. How come the Government has introduced these changes without informing the public (again?)?? Why has this been kept quiet? Looking through some of the other changes involved, it looks like you can't even replace a window in your home (like for like) yourself any more, without involving Building Regs. This is obviously aimed at forcing homeowners to employ "certificated installers" at great expense, even just for very simple jobs. This is very much in the same realm of the fiasco over Part P regs on electrics. You can't even re-render one wall of a house, yourself, without having to apply for Building Regs (you can re-render up to 25% of one wall), otherwise, it's got to be a "registered installer". There are a huge amount of changes involved that, I'm sure, most people are not aware of. Could this be deliberately done so that when people do the work, the local authority then finds out about it and then forces people to apply for retrospective planning permission? Or are these changes more to do with generating huge increases in extra finances for the local authorities through Planning and Building Regs fees? Big Brother has come and gone, but his Bigger Brother has appeared swinging a big stick, and with an incessantly hungry bank account. Brad

Reply to
BRAD

We knew ages ago and its been on the TV a few times.

I'm quite sure some people are unaware of it, the same as some people still don't know they have to press the button on pelican crossings. It isn't through it being kept secret though.

Reply to
dennis

I think the publication of the details was yesterday.

"The scheme has been talked about for several years but details have only just been revealed. "

Well it was headline news yesterday so they seemed to be doing Ok at informing the public that something had changed.

Reply to
Malcolm

I think you're mixing up planning permission and building regulations.

Planning control is mostly concerned with how a property looks.

Building regs is mostly concerned with is it safe and does it meet energy conservation standards.

Planning would be usually be unconcerned about an identical replacement window, building control would want to know about the insulation standard (amongst other details).

Anyone can apply or planning permission, makes no difference who you are - and *everyone* has to do it for the things it covers.

Building regs - certain regulated trades may carry out work without application to building control (e.g. FENSA members and that window). But anyone can make a full plans or building notice application to do the same work.

The only "closed shop" bit is that to carry out certain work on a chargeable basis (e.g. gas fitting) you must be registered with the relevant trade association.

Reply to
dom

What's more, he hasn't read the thing properly.

I don't think much has changed either.

Which is important and must be kept up to date.

I couldn't see any problem with any of it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd have said that it has more to do with the effect the proposed changes have on others, particularly those bordering the property. In fact, having objected within the last year to a neighbour's proposed extension (planning permission was not granted), I view the new changes with particular concern.

I was not aware of any changes to the planning regs, and nothing was mentioned in correspondence with the council about any proposed changes which could make the extension viable. I doubt that the proposer of the changes knew either, as he could have waited and saved on application fees.

Perhaps those who replied to the OP that these changes have been known for some time could post a link or two to this information. I'd be interested to see how and why I missed it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Have you read this site?

includes changes in leglislation with regards to loft conversions & extensions too.

I wish I had known this last year, I would have saved myself £1K

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

If it was safe it wouldn't need bringing up to date ...

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

In 1924 BR were about safety, today they've strayed so very far from that brief. Specification creep seems to have gone on unchecked for many years. There are no shortage of old houses about that meet BR in almost no respect yet are perfectly safe.

NT

Reply to
meow2222