New lap fencing - preserve as well?

Can't stand the sight of it any more... that lap fencing has got to be changed (it's completely shot!).

Can source some decent quality stuff locally at a reasonable price, and it comes pre-treated (think all of it does now anyway).

The question is - should I give it an additional coat of a shed/fence preserver before erecting it, or will it not give any advantage or even be detrimental?

Same goes for gravel boards - additional preserver now, or really not bother?

Reply to
RichardS

dale hammond

Just for an alternative view; Since creosote was outlawed (carcinogenic) the (good) replacements are incredibly expensive. I put preserver on my new shed, but when it came to doing the new fence I concluded that fence panels are now so cheap that they are not worth spending the price of preserver on (or the time it takes to apply it).

My fence is slotted concrete posts, so replacing panels is just a case of sliding out the old and sliding in the new.

Reply to
sean.hodges

That's exactly the calculation that I've just made on the back of an envelope, and have worked out that it really isn't worth doing periodic preservation (in purely monetary terms) on the fence. However, one initial application may just be worth it if it increases the eventual lifespan of the panels by 2 or 3 years (and of course it's nice and easy to do before it's erected).

Reply to
RichardS

comes pre-treated (think all of it does now anyway).

If it realy was quality stuff, such as cedar, it would not need treating. Choosing a timber that is naturally durable is a much better way of ensuring a long life for the fence than using an unsuitable timber and then trying to fix it with expensive and poisonous chemicals.

Reply to
biff

Fully agree, and ideally I'd be replacing it with something like that.

Unfortunately at this particular time funds for capital expenditure are tight beyond belief, so it's got to be done down to a price, I'm afraid. And that means standard fencing panels.

The replacement wall/fence for the other (ie the road) side is a different kettle of fish - thats going to be funded out of a small mortgage extension - and I'm going to be looking at oak featheredge for that. Should be much more durable.

Reply to
RichardS