New Ceiling Problem

I've just put a new plasterboard ceiling up in the bedroom. I used square edge board and filled the gaps with Polyfilla, smoothed it down with fine sandpaper, primed it and gave it 2 coats of matt emulsion. Problem is the joins still show quite a lot. Even though I thought I had got the joints quite smooth I think the light coming in through the window makes the joints look more raised than they actually are. (That's my excuse anyway).

The question is what can I do to improve it. I'm thinking of going over it all with thick backing paper and repainting. I'm not sure how well it will stick to the newly painted ceiling though. Anyone got any thoughts or other suggestions. I thought of maybe stipple paint or a heavy embossed type paper but the missus wants it kept smooth.

TIA

John

Reply to
Nodge

John I'm assumning you also taped the edges with fibre tape. You should also have used tapered edge board as that is designed for doing just what you have done. If you havent used tape on the joints then I'm afraid you will end up with cracks appearing. You always find imperfections show more when the final painting is done. You could at this stage do more prep and use the filler over a much wider area. Alternatively at this stage it might pay to get a plasterer in to give the whole ceiling a skim coat. They will put a bonding agent on 1st so that the paint isnt a problem. If you do get it skimmed though, be sure to tell the plasterer that you havent taped the joints, as he will want to do this. Finally go to your local trade paint merchant and ask for their alternative to polyfiller. It will be much cheaper and many are much nicer to work with. If you can find Nutex then get that (I am from Scotland and we cant get it here, but I used to use it in Kent) as its a great filler. Calum Sabey (Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Thanks for the advice. I was using 6' x 3' boards as they are easier to handle on your own and Wickes only do them in straight edge. I didn't use tape as I didn't intend to plaster them, just paint them and I thought the tape would show even more. Plastering is a bit of a problem as I would think the room needs to be completely empty and there is literally nowhere to put the bed, wardrobe, dressing table etc. So is putting lining paper up not a good idea?

Reply to
Nodge

You've already done all the hard work by plasterboarding it, it's no use spoiling the job now for a ha'peth of tar! Any plasterer will have this ceiling done in a few hours, and you can leave the bed and wardrobe in there, when we used to do loads of ceilings for insurance companies, we would 'tank' the entire room with thin polythene sheeting on a roll...it opens out to around 10 ft wide and we'd cover the floor first, (plus any beds, leather lounge suites, plasma TV's etc) then sheet the walls (plus any wardrobes, computers, fish tanks, Rembrants etc) one inch down from the ceiling and taped along with masking tape....ring a few, when they come to look at it, tell them about the furniture, they'll all have done it hundreds of times before

Reply to
Phil L

Still need the tape though else cracks will just reappear. A mate bought a

1910 house that was supposed to have been professionally done up but suffered cracked ceilings downstairs as there was no tape on the plasterboard joints. The plasterer that fixed it finally (after they had had it skimmed and cracks appeared again).just put more board on top with tapered edge this time and tape and filled the joints properly and painted. Stayed crack free for years.
Reply to
Ian_m