Needing help with shower screen instructions

Hello,

Hope someone can help, having trouble understanding shower screen instructions, specifically sealing once installed.

I have uploaded an image here of the instructions:

part that is confusing me is:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

But why only 50mm up? This leaves the outside verticals between screen and tiles looking unfinished. I just don't see why I can't seal all the way up. It just doesn't look right at the moment.

Also the last line "Finally seal the joint between the upright profile and top and bottom profile", I don't get what it means at all.

Really hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

> The part that is confusing me is:

You are using white silicone so it looks unfinished. I think they are thinking of clear silicone.

Pass, I can't comment.

Reply to
Charles

It's sealed all the way up on the inside. If you seal all the way up on the outside any moisture/condensation that gets in there is trapped.

I think that means where the top and bottom rails that carry the doors meet the verticals attached to walls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As it happens I fitted one of these yesterday myself (different brand, same instructions).

Indeed. The 50mm up is just just to be sure pooled water which gets under the bottom rail of the door from escaping. And you wouldn't want to seal the *inside* of the bottom rail as it will prevent any water which does get under the rail, by whatever route, from escaping.

David

Reply to
Lobster

David, I did the 50mm up with transparent silicone, but due to the tiling not being perfect there is a tiny gap between screen and tiles. How does yours look? Have you managed to get the screen completely flush against the tiles?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Oh, mine's perfect! :)

Actually I used laminated board instead of tiles, which was probably easier in that regard (but certainly not in others...!)

Are you worried about leaks, or just appearance?

TBH I'm not a happy bunny today as I used my new installation for the first time this morning - just after my previous post - and it leaks! but *through* the bloody door: it's a sliding one, and water is getting round the central vertical strut. It's an old door receycled from the previous installation (nothing wrong with it I thought) but due to the way the shower is angled in the new shower, water now gets out. Don't really know what to do about it :(

David

Reply to
Lobster

is there not a plastic wiper strip which goes someway to seal this gap?

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Yep - "someway" being the operative word, sadly. Definitely an air gap near the bottom, and it's pretty much inaccessible between the sliding doors.

Reply to
Lobster