Need to put a vent in front of back boiler

I've just moved into a house which has a wooden floor and a Baxi Bermuda back boiler/fire.

A vent in the floor exists already but it's on the opposite side of the room and will be covered up by the sofa.

When I got a guy in to service the back boiler, he said he recommended installing a vent directly in front of the fire as the one currently installed is effectively useless.

So, is it as simple as rolling back the carpet, chopping a square out of the floorboards and the carpet and then screwing some fancy looking brass plate over the top?

Or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Alex Flaherty

Nice focus for conversation, that !

Whooooah,

Back Boilers are now deprecated.

(just in case). ;-)

So I wouldn't chop any more holes in your living room floor for now.

AIUI CORGI fitters will no longer repair back boilers, and probably BAXI will no longer supply the parts. Shortly in the future if not now. Someone will be along with precise details shortly.

Brother in law had one removed last week.

Think of where you are going to locate your new condensing boiler, and how you are going to find the £1.5k - £2.5k to finance it. Console yourself in the knowledge that back boilers were woefully inefficient.

One does one's best !

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

What a load of crap. We've had a Baxi Bermuda 552 for over 10 years. It's regularly serviced (once a year) by British Gas as part of their 3-star central heating cover (or whatever it's called now) the latest service having been done just over a month ago - plenty of parts still available and no mention whatsoever of having to do away with it.

John.

Reply to
John

And I wish you the best of British.

Comments anybody?

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

You'll need to find out how big it has to be -- do you have the boiler's installation instructions? You will probably find it needs to be much bigger than you imagined. Also, it mustn't be closable, because someone might close it! You would also need to make sure there is plenty of under-floor ventilation to the outside -- I think there are some rules for this case but I don't know them off-hand.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News) - view profile Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:03 pm

[...]

I presume you mean scrapping the back boiler and installing a new one in the loft?

************************* From: Ed Sirett - view profile Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:19 pm

You do not want to move that boiler anywhere except to the scrap man. You may not reuse it, it is too old to be of any further use. You almost certainly may not replace it with another back boiler.

You could do worse that to look over the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

***************************

I rest my case.

R.U. Receiving me?

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

still for sale

Reply to
marvelus

Loud and clear, but I think it's you who needs to test their reception.

(1) There's a big difference between not being allowed to fit new (or move existing as in quote from Ed Sirett) inefficient boilers, except in documented circumstances where a condensing boiler is innapropriate, and CORGI engineers refusing to repair them in-situ.

(2) There's no evidence that the OPs boiler needs repairing, he just wants to move the vent.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq