Multimeter recommendation request

Each to his own. I have 3 meters:
1 - Old analogue meter 2 - Digital meter 3 - Clamp meter
I bought the latter very recently, haven't used it yet.
The digital meter tends to get used most often, not least because it's got a temperature probe (I measure temperatures occasionally) and is also slightly more mobile.
But the analogue meter still finds a useful place in my armoury and I really wouldn't be without it handy in my toolbox.
This sounds like a "my dad is bigger than your dad" playground argument. Doesn't bother me what other people use - if you feel comfortable with what you've got that's no problem!
PoP

advantages. One of the major advantages of the analogue meter is that it's gives a much quicker, easier to see and reliable check on the presence of mains voltage.
The analogue meter switched to the 250v range gives a virtually immediate indication of mains voltage and isn't affected by capacitive effects etc. like a digital meter. If the analoge meter says there's 240 volts there then that's a real 240 volts which will hurt you.
The digital meter firstly takes its time to autorange and even if on a fixed range there's a jumble of numbers for a significant time. One actually has to look at the numbers and see where the decimal point is to decide whether it's 240 volts or not.
For a quick go/no go test the analogue meter is better.

I had a Fluke over 20 years ago that was indestructable. Hitting the mains would not blow it. It still works, but the LCD is all scewed so I can't see anything, so kaput after all these years. They were over 200 20 years ago.

Have you tried re-seating the lcd module? The contacts are made with a conductive foam (black rubber) strip. Unscrew the hold down, take out the lcd module, very slightly stretch the rubber then put it all back together. Doesn't always work but I've resurrected several flukes that way over the years when I had a field engineering team equipped with them..
Andrew

Andrew,
Thanks. Did that an no joy. The LCD figures look like ink that is spread. The figures are nearly distinguishable, but only just.

What was the voltage you were trying to measure?
Don't know about you -- but I have ALWAYS checked for voltage BEFORE checking resistance. Keep buying meters--it improves the level of idiotproof research for the rest of us.

setting, I have a cheap far eastern made DMM that a friend managed to blow the fuses on it ..... twice.. HE was the same person that said my drills were useless at drilling metal.. especially the drill bits with the little points in the middle! unfortunately since the DMM was bought in Saudi there isn't any point recommending where to get it!
The Q PS I try not to lend my tools any more!

Maplin. Grab a handful of their 2 specials.
Pablo wrote:

I don't think there IS an answer to that one; or it could be very expensive to produce such a machine that could withstand AC mains voltages etc. on the 'OHMS' range? 'Around the house/car etc.' it's amazing how well little El-Cheapo (yes with a needle/pointer) meter will work. Note 1. On occasion hardware/building supply houses have them as 'Specials' or on sale. So if you did happen to blow one up! We've accumulated several such meters; clearing out the bathroom cupboard we found several 'travel cases' for long defunct electric shavers. The lightly padded cases cases can be excellent for the meters, with a set of test leads with each. Another tactic is a few hand tools and some quick test devices, such as a neon test lamp, a small bulb in a plug in lamp socket etc. kept with one meter in a lined/padded school lunch container; easy to grab if/when a neighbour calls for help and less cumbersome than a toolbox. Note 1. Irritating though are those meters that have DC voltage ranges of, say, 10, 100, 500 and so on! Ten is too low for the 12 to 14 volts of a car and 100 volts too high. And on AC, here, 100 volts is too low for our 115/230 three wire mains systems; on the 500 volt range 115 is only about one quarter scale. Although usable it's not that accurate. We do have one meter, modified many years ago, so that the scales double; 10 becomes 20 volt, 100 becomes 200 etc. BTW while digital meters are very good, we do find it disconcerting that under some conditions the display is constantly hunting/changing depending on the polling rate of the device. Cheers.

It's another case of "sell it for what we can get" though isn't it! In reality it must be cheaper to make digital meters than analogue ones nowadays.
I was recently thinking the same thing about radios, analgue tuning radios must surely cost more to produce than ones with digital tuning but because digital ones are 'sexier' they cost more.

My American Simpson will blow a fuse if you hit the mains. It is 25 years old.

For simple stuff -> at HRPC counters. They sell an own brand multi function screwdriver.
- It acts like a normal simple mains tester
- It tests continuity (to test a fuse you touch the end of the screwdriver, the end of the fuse with the your other hand and touch the the other end of the fuse with the screwdriver blade. The neon lights up. Continuity is throug the fuse and yoiur body.
- Hold the blade and put the other end near a socket or cable. If juice is their then the neon lights up.
Comes with instructions. Cost? About 3/6d

Further info:
1) AC VOLTAGE TEST - Contact method from 70-250 VAC 2) DC VOLTAGE TEST - Up to 250 DC 3) POLARITY TEST - 1.5-36 VAC 4) CONTINUITY CHECK - 0-50 Ohms 5) MICROWAVE LEAKAGE DETECTION - >= 5MW/CM^2

http://www.hrpc.co.uk/shared/getcooks.html?dest=/cgi-bin/REALWEB/IN.PRDDETFRMBP1&prdU0009

Doh... didn't work once you've closed your browser. :(
Its product number 550009 if you want to search for it yourself! 3.32 I think I remember.
IMM wrote:

dangerous... into bin

The HRPC multi function screwdriver comes with an instruction leaflet, but costs 3.20. So I am pleased with it. I would never take the results of these as gospel. That is for the multi-meter.

Hi Pablo,
I have a Fluke 112 DVM which I highly recommend & as far as I know, is pretty bomb proof. Costs about 100. I use mine all the time. It also has an LCD backlight which can be very handy.
-- John