Multimeter recommendation request

I've knackered two multimeters by trying to measure volts whilst inadvertently been still on ohms. Can anyone recommend a multimeter that will not die if I do this.

Reply to
Pablo

Dy'know - in all the years I've been using multimeters, I've

*never* done that.

I don't know if you're going to find what you want - it's a little like asking for a wood drill bit that won't break when used to drill through concrete.

Reply to
Grunff

What was the voltage you were trying to measure?

David Hearn

Me neither. There is a limit to how idiot proof they can make them :-) Maybe my expensive Fluke would be ok but I not going to try it ...

Reply to
BillR

I agree. You need to learn to shake and get anxious whenever the meter isn't on a voltage range. Never put it down without selecting volts or off.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't know about you -- but I have ALWAYS checked for voltage BEFORE checking resistance. Keep buying meters--it improves the level of idiotproof research for the rest of us.

Reply to
Jim

Same here.

A possible solution for this problem might be to buy two separate multimeters - each of a different colour.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Lol! Make that 3 - one for current. You don't want to be measuring voltage with an ammeter set to current (although most are fused).

Reply to
Grunff

you'll find they have a fuse inside to limit current when on the wrong setting, I have a cheap far eastern made DMM that a friend managed to blow the fuses on it ..... twice.. HE was the same person that said my drills were useless at drilling metal.. especially the drill bits with the little points in the middle! unfortunately since the DMM was bought in Saudi there isn't any point recommending where to get it!

The Q PS I try not to lend my tools any more!

Reply to
The Q

Ah yes, but by the time the fuse has figured out that it needs to vapourise itself the multimeter needle will have wrapped itself around the end stop several times ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Maplin. Grab a handful of their £2 specials.

Andy Dingley

multimeter with a needle.... how quaint ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think there IS an answer to that one; or it could be very expensive to produce such a machine that could withstand AC mains voltages etc. on the 'OHMS' range? 'Around the house/car etc.' it's amazing how well little El-Cheapo (yes with a needle/pointer) meter will work. Note 1. On occasion hardware/building supply houses have them as 'Specials' or on sale. So if you did happen to blow one up! We've accumulated several such meters; clearing out the bathroom cupboard we found several 'travel cases' for long defunct electric shavers. The lightly padded cases cases can be excellent for the meters, with a set of test leads with each. Another tactic is a few hand tools and some quick test devices, such as a neon test lamp, a small bulb in a plug in lamp socket etc. kept with one meter in a lined/padded school lunch container; easy to grab if/when a neighbour calls for help and less cumbersome than a toolbox. Note 1. Irritating though are those meters that have DC voltage ranges of, say, 10, 100, 500 and so on! Ten is too low for the 12 to 14 volts of a car and 100 volts too high. And on AC, here, 100 volts is too low for our 115/230 three wire mains systems; on the 500 volt range 115 is only about one quarter scale. Although usable it's not that accurate. We do have one meter, modified many years ago, so that the scales double; 10 becomes 20 volt, 100 becomes 200 etc. BTW while digital meters are very good, we do find it disconcerting that under some conditions the display is constantly hunting/changing depending on the polling rate of the device. Cheers.

Reply to
Terry

It's another case of "sell it for what we can get" though isn't it! In reality it must be cheaper to make digital meters than analogue ones nowadays.

I was recently thinking the same thing about radios, analgue tuning radios must surely cost more to produce than ones with digital tuning but because digital ones are 'sexier' they cost more.

Reply to
usenet

For simple stuff -> at HRPC counters. They sell an own brand multi function screwdriver.

- It acts like a normal simple mains tester

- It tests continuity (to test a fuse you touch the end of the screwdriver, the end of the fuse with the your other hand and touch the the other end of the fuse with the screwdriver blade. The neon lights up. Continuity is throug the fuse and yoiur body.

- Hold the blade and put the other end near a socket or cable. If juice is their then the neon lights up.

Comes with instructions. Cost? About 3/6d

Reply to
IMM

I had a Fluke over 20 years ago that was indestructable. Hitting the mains would not blow it. It still works, but the LCD is all scewed so I can't see anything, so kaput after all these years. They were over £200 20 years ago.

Reply to
IMM

My American Simpson will blow a fuse if you hit the mains. It is 25 years old.

Reply to
IMM

screwdriver,

Further info:

1) AC VOLTAGE TEST - Contact method from 70-250 VAC 2) DC VOLTAGE TEST - Up to 250 DC 3) POLARITY TEST - 1.5-36 VAC 4) CONTINUITY CHECK - 0-50 Ohms 5) MICROWAVE LEAKAGE DETECTION - >= 5MW/CM^2
Reply to
IMM

Have you tried re-seating the lcd module? The contacts are made with a conductive foam (black rubber) strip. Unscrew the hold down, take out the lcd module, very slightly stretch the rubber then put it all back together. Doesn't always work but I've resurrected several flukes that way over the years when I had a field engineering team equipped with them..

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

David Hearn