MultiMeter choice

My (now old) Avo Digital Multimeter has died on me ...

Need to find a replacement ... first choice would be a Fluke 77, but these are too expensive new ... and also >£100 on ebay for well worn examples.

Anybody any recommendation on alternatives ... Many sellers of the following :

is probably a piece of junk.

I don't need transistor test, just AC/ DC voltage & current impedance & continuity.

Key is a large LCD digit size ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have a couple of these meters and they are ok, but nothing beets an analog meter for checking continuity or low voltage tests. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

In message , Rick Hughes writes

I have been very pleased with my Metex M-3800.

Display is LCD and about 20mm high.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Rapid do a dmm for 10 or 20 with large readout. Not exactly a Fluke of course.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd struggle to justify spending more than the cheap (usually sub £10) ones. I've ended up with quite a few (mostly bought when I was away from home and someone asked me to mend something of theirs), and they're all fine. Even the oldest one (Maplin Gold which must be 20+ years, and cost £50 back then) has never drifted on calibration.

Just find a style and feature set you like (you probably can't get one without diode and transistor gain testing).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't choose this one...

Adrian C

In message , Rick Hughes wrote

CPC once sold these at less than £2+vat . I have a three, they are cheaply made but they do work and when compared to my more expensive unit gave the same results (differing by the tolerances specified).

One thing to watch with many multi-meters is when the 9V battery starts failing they often read high. There is no indication that the battery is failing until it is nearly dead. On the cheap units there is no battery cover - you have to remove a few screws and split the whole unit apart to replace the battery.

The cheap units will not have auto-ranging and probably no auto switch off after a period of non-use.

Reply to
Alan

I think I got my two when they were £1.99 BOGOF at maplin.

They work fine except they lack AC current.

I wouldn't go probing a 500V circuit with one even if the meter goes that high.

My favourite is a little one that fits in my shirt pocket. Mastech m320

dennis

I have a similar one that lives in my brief case for occational use. While its rather lightweight and flyaway, its not too bad accuracy wise when compared with my proper calibrated test kit. Probes are cheap and nasty though.

I would be wary of using for mains tests on any seriously low impedance supplies though.

The Maplin branded one I bought many years ago fits that bill and has served well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, frustrating it is... I've seen quite a few meters with 'low battery' warning indicators, but even then they don't seem to kick in until long after the meter's started giving incorrect readings. I'm tempted to add a power jack to mine so I can run it from an external 9V supply, as most of the time I don't need battery portability anyway.

True, although tbh I've never really wanted auto-ranging anyway - I don't find many situations where having it would save me time/effort. If I were using a meter in a day job that might be different, I suppose.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I can. A needle swinging is much sexier than a boring display.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The thing to watch with analogue meters is the amount of current they can can push through a circuit on a continuity range. While not large in any sense, it can be of concern on sensitive digital kit.

Reply to
John Rumm

100uA max ? 1.5v max?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Though less so after you wrap it around the endstop a few times. They can only survive a limited number of 10A measured on 10mA range events.

By comparison with no moving parts any of the digital DVMs will win on calibration accuracy and convenience in use. Hard these days to get one that doesn't also do diodes, transistors and frequency as well.

The buzzer based continuity tester leaves analogue meters in the dust.

You pay extra for the ones with rubberised drop protection armour around them and/or safety legislation compliant probes. You can get a pretty good one for £10 and an excellent one for £20-30. (some now can do LCR measurement not just resistance - at extra cost)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Unles you need certified calibration, it's not worth spending a lot of money. Look at the Tenma range from Farnell.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, I have a couple of Tenma meters. But now I have an AVO 8 too - and at least that has a cutout!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I agree I have an Avo 8 mkIV and a Robin analogue ... swing of needle great for fault finding.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

So care to mention these excellent ones for £30 ... recommendation is what I ma after.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

followed some of the suggested links here .. and came across Aidetek VC97

anybody any views, seems to meet all the needs.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well _I've_ got two AVO 8s.

:-)