MultiMeter choice

Mine is a sufficiently late model (a 1979 Mark II) that it uses that (more modern) battery. The battery compartment has been 'modified' but I think it was done at time of manufacture.

also do the BLR121 for early AVOs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Can you not deactivate the auto-off function? I know I have done this on some Fluke or other.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

But you can't use a Fluke to prop a door open. Also Flukes tend to go walkies when you are not looking.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Some years back - dropped my Avo MultiMionor analogue (not Avo 8) from top of scaffolding, straight down onto concrete floor ... Burst into dozens of pieces - certainly failed that test.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The leather case for an AVO8 cost more than a DVM

Reply to
Rick Hughes

So far 2 units seem to be in lead ..

TENMA 7725 £18 but I think there are no leads or case

AIDETEK VC97 £25 Includes carry case, leads and temperature probes. - very large display.

The TENMA is a EC Class II device in terms of accuracy, can't yet get the answer if AIDETEK is class II (or class III)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well, cheap at a tenth of that price. Obviously there's no wicking fey I'd pay that amount for something that's for occasional personal use. No, if I get one, it will be forty years old and well used, but hopefully still reasonably accurate. Actually, it's surprising how well looked after a lot of them were - most of them I've seen, ancient though they may be, are quite nice condition.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Datasheet:

"Included standard test leads, plus separate short leads for accurate capacitance checking"

I think my last set of fluke leads cost more than that!

Reply to
The Other Mike

True... probably why most development labs seem to be able to hold onto AVO 8s - they don't fit in an engineer's pocket or brief case!

Reply to
John Rumm

but our (unofficial) fire instructions were "grab the nearest Avo before leaving"

Reply to
charles

Cos if you get stuck behind a locked door, you can always batter your way through it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You're not likely to find a new one these days - they stopped making them a= few years back

Picked up a couple of model 7's at a vintage radio fair for a fiver, but mo= del 8's fetch rather more as they're more generally useful. The pair I pick= ed up seemed to have had quite a hard life by the look of them, but one of = the pair is still working and the other should provide some usable spares..= .

Reply to
docholliday93

I was taught that was the purpose of water based fire extinguishers. (seriously)

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Just refurbing one of they:). Can't remember where it came from now its been up on a transmitter site for years. Decided to change all the electrolytic's (got a thing about they in equipment much older than 10 years) A few carbon resists and poly caps but other than that its rather good, decent pots most all wire wound, solid switches and seems such a waste to throw away a working bit of test equipment;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Get yourself a decent S/Hand Fluke 77, seen them about for about 40 quid...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm happy with my Fluke 73, a couple of AVO8s, an AVO PO Meters Multirange 12D, another PO Meters Multirange and a nondescript (possibly Tandy) digital thing, the last two of which I'm not sure where they are... :-)

All the AVO ones I have are in proper leather cases.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Been trying to get Fluke 77 on ebay for months ... they go for £70 plus

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In article , Frank Erskine scribeth thus

Just -how- many meters does a man need;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

To true, that's why we get the cheap rapid ones. Missing about a dozen so far this academic year.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There's another option although not popular is a pen dmm

only usefulin electronics and smaller jobs.

Reply to
whisky-dave