Multi socket extension lead - interesting failure mode

SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING!

Reply to
Adam Funk

A plug worked loose from the second socket such that only the earth pin was in. Someone pulled on the cable. The main plug broke at the same time as the cable was pulled.

Viola! A large fiddle.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I thought it was a flower.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As they're both part of the same item, it's likely they're both made of the same cheap/nasty plastic which has gone brittle for whatever reason.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Two separate plastic parts failing spontaneously seems a bit unlikely. If the plug was less the 0.5m away from the sockets then maybe both parts got struck by something heavy which shattered them.

Perhaps there's someone in your house who's keeping very quiet about what they know!

Reply to
pamela

Not on trailing sockets no, but I have experienced other hard plastic objects going "crumbly" even when they've been kept out of the light.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In my experience, the plastic used on a plug is different to the plastic used on the socket strip.

Even if they're the same plastic, the chance of both failing, spontaneously without impact, seems very small.

Have you observed even a single failure like the photo which happened without any cause in all the years and all the trailing sockets you have come across? I haven't. There was time when I got lots of those very similar 4-way 0.5m sockets for a pound from the discount shop and none of mine have ever spontaneously shattered.

Reply to
pamela

I've seen crumbling although usually on biodegradable plastic but the photo shows sharp edges which look like shattering.

I would guess injection moulded plastic wouldn't be under any stresses other than if it is force fitted and I'm assuming that would show itself by deformed bends even after the pressure is released.

My vote still goes for a common impact on the plug and the sockets.

Reply to
pamela

I would say that is a manufacturing defect. Something wrong with the plastic.

I have never seen a plug fail like that in forty years. The old bakelite plugs might have failed that way but only with a very hard blow.

Reply to
harry

Well if anyone is still interested I have applied finger pressure to the remains of the socket.

There is a short (60sec) video of the dismantling process using nothing more than finger pressure, whilst one hand holds the camera....

I can assure you that there has been no impact

Reply to
Chris B

Name the shop! Have the manager tarred and feathered!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You've already manipulated the evidence once :-)

Did you put it into the freezer for two hours first?

Reply to
Scott

Gosh. Presumably it was all okay when you first got it because you would have damaged anything as weak as that that. The plastic must have degraded since then. Biodegradable by mistake?

Reply to
pamela

replying to Chris B, John Dalton wrote: I have experienced the same. I found your post by googling "BLS114 socket". The one I have crumbles under fairly light thumb pressure on the top (socket entry) surface, the base moulding still seems strong. Never been in sunlight, but there's slight yellowing of the plastic top except the areas that were under the plugs

Reply to
John Dalton

replying to Chris B, John Dalton wrote: try

John Dalton

replying to pamela, John Dalton wrote: I've just had exactly the same experience with a BLS114 socket strip as pictured. My plug's OK but the top moulding of the socket strip crumbles under light thumb pressure. Really hazardous.

Reply to
John Dalton

Unfortunately, many of these sockets seem to be made out of, well, cheap crap. I guess they work for a while, but it is obviously false economy if they self destruct after a few years. What worries me is how many of these dodgy things are lying in some warehouse somewhere gently aging and will be sold on with very little life left. I do not suppose anyone has the knowledge to tell the plastics aging either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to John Dalton, rde42 wrote: You are replying to a message that is over two years old.

Reply to
rde42

Same happened to me also. Rearranged plugs behind TV cabinet which had been untouched for several years, 4 gang extension fell apart when disturbed. It was never in direct sunlight. The 13A plug was fine, though.

Reply to
Airback

In message <16c057b5c7b86b29$1$2903782$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com>, Airback snipped-for-privacy@example.com writes

+1 Exactly the same. Some plastics go brittle and break. Some go sticky or/and split (especially ladies' shoes).
Reply to
Ian Jackson