moving gas meter

Hi folks.... yes i know...and i apologise up front... should be corgi guy.. but they are asking a fortune to move the meter 3 foot!

basically.. we are having a bog fitted under the stairs...need to move the meters...ive already moved the electric meter...but... cant get the bloody nut undone on the gas meter... see pic... the one on the left as you look at it is fine..the one on the right is a ballache!

firstly...im assuming its a normal thread and not oposite? ie.. anti clockwise??

also.. which would be the best to undo first... as im folded up in half under the stairs using 3 hands ...

the pipework on mine is slightly diff to pic... on the right i have nut underneath bracket..as pic... then above bracket..2 nuts...and metal flexi gas pipe...

will take pic if needed

any help appreciated..

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Domestic-gas-meter-inside-001.jpg | |Download:
thevilla1

As I understand it, you may work the the gas supply in your own home if you are "competent". If you don't know how to undo the nut, you are clearly NOT competent and should not be doing the job.

BTW it's no longer CORGI, it's GasSafe nowadays.

Reply to
charles

You are a troll AICMFP

Reply to
djc

He's on diybanter, so it';s unlikely, any troll worth their salt would have a news account.

FWIW, the picture, as with all diybanter attachments, is s**te, mostly just a black box with a few highlights of paler shading here and there, tiny and with virtually no detail...message to the op, take another picture, use the flash, and upload it to tinypic

Reply to
Phil L

Odd, the link leads to a clear enough picture for me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Shows a perfectly good picture of a gas meter to me, so good you can even read the serial number.

I would suggest to the OP that it is the responsibility of his supplier to work on the meter. Are domestic gas fitters allowed to work on a meter? Let alone a DiYer that seems to be having problems with a simple task. I imagined their responsibility only began after the meter. Could anyone clarify?

Reply to
Bill

writes

I think a picture of his electricity meter might be interesting. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's a problem at your end. Its fine here.

Reply to
dennis

What, with the bell wire he's used to extend the incomer?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Actually diybanter would be an ideal site to troll, as most of them wouldn't know what a troll was.

Many of the forums I've read seem to have their fair share of them.

As to the original question, presumably to move a gas meter you'd need to disconnect the incoming supply pipe to the meter, which as a DIY'er you'd have means of readily closing it off. Which could prove interesting, for the neighbours as well, even for non-smokers.

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

  • Except of course for the stop tap, immediateley before the meter. Oops.

michael adams

michael adams

my gas supply has a shut off tap on the supply side of the meter. How else could a meter be changed, even by the official people?

Reply to
charles

Pipe freezer. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Just put a light to the gas and flare it off.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

at what temperature does natural gas go solid?

Reply to
charles

,

Minus 180 (at least that is methane).

Reply to
polygonum

Some flare, this is the high pressure side of the regulator, it won't be like setting fire to an open pipe down stream of the regulator/meter. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and then how would you suggest moving it to the new meter location?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Gas lads were here for other work when we made a hole in the yellow pipe close to the surface. He got a piece of mud and made a temporary seal to the hole. Pressure, what pressure?

Reply to
Pete Shew

Darwinism at its best.............

Reply to