moving gas meter

This reminds me of the engineer who was called out to service a broken down appliance, looked at it, hit it with a hammer whereupon it started to work perfectly again, left and then sent in a bill for £100.

£100, screamed the disgruntled customer. I'd like to see you justify that in an itemised bill.

The itemised bill arrived the next day. It read: To hitting appliance with hammer - £1. To knowing where to hit appliance with hammer, based on forty years of training and experience - £99.

It seems to me that the "fortune" you are being asked to pay is the same. It's the difference between a reliable job and the possibility of this:

if it all goes wrong, you've got someone you can sue!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

charles

Gas Safe registered technician?

It may be safer to go down the cheaper route :)

Reply to
alan

At least if a third party is involved you can sue 'em. And, judging by the pictures in that article, the wallpaper needed redoing anyway.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It is quite possible to know how to undo a nut and yet not be able to do it!

Reply to
John Rumm

TBH you are wrong.

You can flare off a gas supply.

Reply to
ARW

While I doubt even a gas safe registered warm body is "allowed" to relocate the meter, they are allowed to temporarily disconnect it and reattach it. (sometimes easier to take the whole thing off (and cover up its ports) prior to working on the consumers gas supply than using a blanking disk etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

"basically.. we are having a bog fitted under the stairs"

It does depend on the location though.

Reply to
Bill

Not allot generally - although some of the big gas mains are pressurised these days - allows them to be used for storage as well as supply.

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on how far it needs to go... the anaconda will allow a few inches... Not sure I would fancy trying to alter the pipework before the main stop tap though!

Reply to
John Rumm

You try getting their solicitors to admit that when they are negotiating a wayleave for a 48" main.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Nothing to do with me, but I have doubled his original picture in size and posted a link.

F Murtz

Can you freeze gas and seal a pipe with pipe freezer??

Reply to
F Murtz

We had a meter moved recently and the gas fitter pointed out an endorsement on his Corgi ID which meant that he was authorised to carry out meter work.

djornsk

Not meaning to be pedantic as such, but are you saying Corgi as quick shorthand? Or do you really mean Corgi? In which case, I thought that all the authorisations were through Gas Safe now?

Reply to
polygonum

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, "Phil L" writ:

It's a clear as day here. Bright and detailed. May be a problem your end.

Reply to
Percy

It is quite possible to know in principle how to undo a nut and yet not be able to undo a particular one. Maybe that's where the extra knowledge gained from experience might help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well yes, in principle. But I think it was a rather good joke.

Reply to
newshound

I moved my boiler recently and being the worrier that I am I have to keep testing it so that I don't fear blowing the street up.

In order for an explosion like in the link above, I presume it would be impossible for enough gas to leak into an occupied house without an overpowering stink.

Reply to
R D S

I'm sorry I stated corgi without thinking, it must have been gas safe because this was less than a year ago. I believe he was there as a subcontractor to the company which replaced and re-routed the exterior underground pipe.

djornsk