Mounting an LCD computer monitor

I've got a 24 inch LCD computer monitor that I'd like to mount to table or wall-mounted bracket but the monitor doesn't have the common VESA fitting that would make it easy, so I need to cobble something together.

As it's behind the monitor it won't be seen so it doesn't matter what it looks like. The monitor's not particularly heavy but adjusting the monitor will impose a shearing or levering force on the join.

See photos attached - as the back is not very flat, smooth or solid, I tried gluing a couple of pads of timber about 7cm square on either side which were linked with a strip of timber to which the bracket was screwed, but they came off.

I guess the key to this is the way the pads are attached. My first effort used epoxy putty to hold the pads on with some hot-melt glue round the edge afterwards but it clearly wasn't enough.

Murmansk

Does the foot come off? Reuse the mounting position to attach to a wall bracket?

Otherwise Steampunk it :-)

Reply to
Scott M

What?!

Reply to
Murmansk

I was going to suggest similar - the base have terminate in a metal plate that fixes to the monitor with 2 or four screws. Normally you can take the screws out and slide the base out. Either adapt the metal bit of the base, of just make a shelf to go on the end of whatever mount you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try car body filla.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suggest you make a bracket set that holds the monitor by means of small discrete black metal clips. Like mirror clips. I had a similar problem some time ago and that's what I did. It wasn't difficult. I had two slightly curved horizontal arms with the clips on the end. The screws holding the clips provided the tight grip necessary. The two horizontal arms were at 1/4 and 3/4 heights. They were joined by a vertical which also linked to the swivel joint and thus the wall plate. I suppose the same design but on its side would work, maybe even better.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On 22 Nov 2015, John Rumm grunted:

I did exactly that with my previous monitor... I wanted it to stand on a narrow shelf at the back of my desk, but the galummphing stand it came with meant that the centre of gravity of the monitor was so far forwards that the bloody thing just tipped forward. So (similarly in the absence of any VESA fitting, I removed it and made my own, from a short piece of contiboard matching the shelf.

Reply to
Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:n2t8h1$jp4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Bite the bullet - buy another monitor that has a proper mouning point.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

En el artículo , DerbyBorn escribió:

My thought too. They cost f-all nowadays.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Lobster scribbled

Far too much arsing around. My monitor is on a box. It's at the height I want and and I can tilt it anyway I want and it's a lot easier to plug in or out when I make changes to my setup.

Reply to
Jonno

Just GIYF! :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

On 22 Nov 2015, DerbyBorn grunted:

No - buy two! for use side by side.

I could never understand any need for this until I spent a few weeks in an office where I was given such a set-up to work on. I immediately bought a another monitor for my home system, and I can't bear working on a single- monitor system now. It's just *so* much better in every way.

Ano alternative thought for the OP, if he's intent on continuing down the current path... I wonder if it would be feasible to remove the back of the monitor, and rigidly attach a plate of plywood to it using screws from the inside? Then whatever mounting system required could be attached to said plywood plate (maybe a couple of keyhole plates would do the job?

Potential issues with that which spring to mind is the presence of metal screwheads inside the casing, and the fact that the weight of the monitor will be borne by the casing, which it's not intended for, Probably others?!

Reply to
Lobster

Gives the general idea. Basically take the gubbins out and put it in a new victorian styled clockwork looking case.

Reply to
Scott M

I've never seen an LCD monitor or TV that didn't have the option of fitting a rear mounting. What make is it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am guessing you are NOT running Linux where virtual screens have been around for ages, but either the deficient OSX or even - cross my palm with silver to ward off evil - Microsoft Windows,.

I find it impossible to look at two screens at exactly the same time, and since the others are only a mouse click away, I can trump your two measly screens with 8...virtual screens.

And Linux is a lot cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or even Linux & two screens

:-)

Reply to
The Nomad

I'm curious how it is better than two windows side by side on a suitably sized single monitor?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

VirtuaWin. Virtual desktops for 'doze. Used it for years. Free. Introduced years and years before M$ stole the idea for Windows 10 then implemented it. Badly.

12 virtual desktops here.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It looks like something from the film Brazil.

As for the original problem, surely that's what Duct Tape was designed for?

Davey

I did that and got the bug for it - now have four monitors driven from two graphics cards.

Reply to
Peter Johnson