Mortice dimensions?

I have (60mm x 100mm) 57mm x 92mm double rebated, ovolo red hardwood. What size mortice should I cut into this section?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

No more than a third of the thickness of the material i.e 20mm (for the

60mm) - or 33mm (for the 100mm)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Usually the mortice is about 1/3 of the timber width and say 15mm shorter than the timber so 19mm x 77mm. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Should have mentioned that because of its double rebate it is 33mm thick at its narrowest. That should mean a mortice width of 10 or 11mm width but it seems too small to me.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

That's the formula for the mortise Arthur, but it's up to you as to whether you think that you can go thicker or thinner with it - and that depends and what load you want to carry etc.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Bob,

When you say "shorter than the timber" are you talking about the depth of the mortise?

because these can either be "straight through" where the end of tenon protrudes through the style or "stopped" where the tenon is 'hidden' - or are you talking about a 'haunched' mortise?

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Yes I was referring to the haunch. the part to disguise a less than perfect mortise. I'm not familiar with all the terms so my description was not precise.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin